Sign in with
Your question

Reinstall windows xp no cddrive no fdd no usb boot

Last response: in Windows XP
June 11, 2012 7:39:51 PM

I have an old toshiba laptop running on windows xp
cd rom busted, no floppy drive, bios not capable of booting from usb drive.
I wanted a clean install of windows xp. i have a windows xp xd a product key for the laptop another computer on my home network with working cd rom, i have 2 partitions on the drive of the old laptop. is it possible to boot to the second partition that will contain the windows xp installation files then run a clean install on the first partition? Please help. Thanks in advance
a b D Laptop
June 11, 2012 8:50:24 PM

How to install Windows XP from a hard drive without using a floppy or optical drive.

kikoamor said:
I have an old toshiba laptop running on windows xp
cd rom busted, no floppy drive, bios not capable of booting from usb drive.
I wanted a clean install of windows xp. i have a windows xp xd a product key for the laptop another computer on my home network with working cd rom, i have 2 partitions on the drive of the old laptop. is it possible to boot to the second partition that will contain the windows xp installation files then run a clean install on the first partition? Please help. Thanks in advance
July 12, 2012 12:07:47 PM

hey thanks for the reply!

not gonna work for me though. I'm looking for some software based resolution to this issue.
I found out that you can boot from the second partition by changing some settings on the disk management if the secont partition has an OS. what i really want to know is if it is possible to boot to the second partition that will contain the windows xp installation files then run a clean install on the first partition.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2012 12:54:13 PM

You answered the question yourself. You said:

kikoamor said:
I found out that you can boot from the second partition by changing some settings on the disk management if the secont partition has an OS.

Your 2nd partition does not contain an OS. it contains the installation files for an OS.
July 13, 2012 1:25:51 PM

Check on ebay for a replacemt cd drive.
July 16, 2012 6:45:47 PM

nhasian said:
You answered the question yourself. You said:

Your 2nd partition does not contain an OS. it contains the installation files for an OS.

yeah your right but cd doesn't contain OS too and can boot. microsoft has something like a pre-execution environment that can boot a drive and run installation from it just like how windows xp bootable installation cd does. this is the method im looking for only i need it on the second partition without removing laptop hdd. if anyone knows i would appriciate the info very much!! thanks in advance!!
a b D Laptop
July 16, 2012 7:25:09 PM

oh okay I think i understand now. you just want to create a recovery partition. yes you can definately do that. I've seen instructions on google about creating your own recovery partition.
!