Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Selecting Sata Port for SSD

Last response: in Storage
November 4, 2011 7:49:37 PM

Hey guys,

i have this mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has a marvell 6.0 Gb SATA ports and the regular ASUS 6.0 Gb ports, i was wondering which is better to use?

im about to assemble my system, i know to make sure it says its set to ACHI mode in the bios. Anything else i should look for before installing my OS?
a c 523 G Storage
November 4, 2011 8:02:53 PM

Your SSD should be connected in AHCI mode to port SATA6G_1 or SATA6G_2 for maximum performance.

See page 2-2 of your motherboard manual for the location of the ports.
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2011 8:37:20 PM

Alright cool thanks guys!

I read that formmating guide already and will make sure to go threw it once everything is installed

for some reason i just thought i had read something once that the marvel 6gb ports were not very good but i guess it had to do with RAID which im not interested in.
m
l
a c 523 G Storage
November 4, 2011 8:58:09 PM

sp0nger said:
for some reason i just thought i had read something once that the marvel 6gb ports were not very good but i guess it had to do with RAID which im not interested in.

Correct. The Marvell 6Gb/s controller is not as good as the native Intel 6Gb/s controller.
The Marvell controller uses only 1 PCIe lane. It was originally designed to RAID HDDs and for 1st generation SSDs. It can't perform at the speed of current generation SSDs.
m
l
!