PWM Fan Splitter Issues

mudfrog

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hey guys.. I'm having an issue with the PWM fans in my HTPC. I'm using three Cougar 120mm PWM fans with a Akasa Flexa FP5 PWM fan splitter. On my mobo (Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H) I have two PWM connections and one 3 pin connection, the CPUFAN and SYSFAN are PWM, the NBFAN is 3 pin. This is my layout (Silverstone GDO5 case).

CPUFAN - Shuriken Scythe2 120mm HSF PWM
SYSFAN - 3x Cougar 120mm PWM Fans w/ Flexa FP5
NBFAN - 2x Xigmatek 80mm w/ Sunbeam Fan Controller

When the Cougars are plugged in to the SYSFAN header they always run at full speed. I've tried using the BIOS fan controller as well as SpeedFan. I cannot get these to slow down no matter what I do.

I also tried plugging the Cougars and the Shuriken into the CPUFAN header. The Cougars did slow down dramatically, the problem is I never heard them speed up under load. I imagine having different fan types on the splitter caused this but I don't know.

No matter how I have the splitter plugged in I do not get any RPM information in HWmonitor or Speedfan. Is that normal? I could really use some help!

mudfrog

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I guess as a worse cast scenario I could use a splitter on the 3 pin and plug the Xigmatek's directly into that header and then run the PWM splitter off of the Sunbeam controller and manually control the PWM fans that way, I'd just prefer not to.

mudfrog

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hooked the splitter up to the Sunbeam controller just to see and it still just runs at 100%.

Edit: Plugging a single fan into the SYSFAN header shows the fan speed and it will adjust based on temp.