How to transfer windows 7 key from hdd to hdd

Diavolo_08

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
i recently purchase a 1tb hdd and tried installing win7 but the key i have has been used more than once. now i get the error that my key has been more used than one. does this mean i have to buy a new key (which will be gay) or is their a way to transfer my os from my 200gb hdd to my 1tb hdd

+1
Just call customer service and explain that you had to use a new motherboard or hard drive and they should walk you through the process of activating your OS.

caqde

Distinguished
You must be using an OEM copy, Microsoft will allow you to use your license as long as you aren't changing motherboards. It is annoying but that is what you will need to do. There should be a number to call and a few steps to follow on the phone. Just be polite and honest about what you are doing and make sure they understand that you are doing a Hard Drive upgrade and you are running this key on the same Hardware and they should fix your issue.

Although in your case I would likely run Windows on the 30 day complimentary key until you know you new drive isn't a DOA or Dead Shortley after Arrival. I hate calling Microsoft multiple times in a short period of time because of hardware issues.

Another thing you could do is clone the old HD onto the new one. Western Digital has a tool on their site for that linked below.

WD Acronis True Image ->
http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

If you are just upgrading to a new hard drive, all you have to do is download the free version of Acronis True Image, and mirror the old drive to the new drive using Acronis.
Very simple, fast, and no worrying about reactivating anything, no need to reinstall, call Microsoft and all the other baloney.

If the install is on the same mobo,no problem if u have OEM.

Retail can go anywhere after first install, any hardware. Also only one activated copy is allowed per serial number.

But only one can be activated at the time.

U can get up to 90days without activation to make up your mind.