Some info on some CPU's plz

the_ub

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Alright, this seems to be the question of the year so far.
I am trying to decide whether to get a PII 955 OC'd to 965 stats, or an Intel I5 750. From everything i've read today, they seem to be about neck and neck, it just seems to fall upon preference or bias. Im not really asking what should i get, i just want some info on both.

For the AMD variety: One bad thing ive noticed is that you can only run one stick of DDR3 1300 RAM per channel. Will that be a significant performance decrease? or would you be better off getting the DDR3 1066 speed running dual channel.

As for Intel: The 750 is not multi threaded. The PII can run 2 threads per core, letting it run 8 threads, whereas the i5 can only run one thread per core, giving it a total of 4. how detrimental will this be to performance? Also, is the socket 1156 or whatever going to be prevalent for a while? I like the thought of the AMD being upgradeable, though i guess there isnt much higher to go than the 965 Ghz-wise.

This will be a new build primarily for gaming. I think right now i am leaning towards Intel, though i would love for AMD to be the crowning victor. And i apologize in advance if i started ANOTHER AMD Intel bout...

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
The 955 clocked to 3.4ghz will act the same as the 965.

This is the i5 in blue on top and the 965 in orange. Higher/lower being better noted in the left.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=109&p2=102&c=1

If you're talking OC'ing, an OC'd i5 750 will beat the 965 OC'd regularly. Not sure where you heard the Phenom IIs support Hyper threading, but that is incorrect. Both only support 4 threads. So apples to apples, the i5 is a better CPU OC'd in almost all cases when price isn't a factor or stock vs stock still a little better imo.

The ram for both CPUs are dual channel setup. Not sure what you're asking as far as single/dual channel. If you put an odd number of sticks in, it will be single channel, even number, dual. Once you get 1333mhz ram at Cas 7, you're doing great. Reality is memory subsystems are rarely a major factor in performance for gaming and I wouldn't waste too much thought on it.

the_ub

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008

Sorry if unclear, lemme clarify. With the PII, If your running DDR3 1333 MHz, you can only run one stick per channel to keep those speeds. Otherwise, if you add two sticks per channel, it'd drop down to 1066 MHz.
And yea, your right about the hyperthreading. i guess i was fed wrongful info earlier. well, wallet willing, i will try and get an i5. thanks for input

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Do you mind linking in where you got the info that the PIIs have a Ram speed limitation? This is the first time I've ever heard something like that.

i5-750 = No hypertreading, i7-820 = hyperthreading. For gaming I would not let hyperthreading sway you as 4 cores is Ok, at least for a few years - The program has to be able to take advantage - Not alot currently. Due to Hyperthreading, the i5-750 OCs better and at a lower temp than the i7-820 (from what I've read)

The I5's less than 750 are dual core w/hyperthreading - Give me 4 real cores anyday.

If your into OC, the I5-750 OCed to 3.6 to 3.8 is fairly common and relativly simple, a few seem to have a problem (probably a choice in other components ie MB/memory)

On mine, I simply selected Profile1, for Ram. This set the Bclk to 160 and I changed the mulitplier to 20 = instant and stable 3.2 GHz. I then used Gigabyte's easy tune 6 and selected 3.8 (Set bclk to 200 and upped vcore) - Walla 3.8 stable. Backed the Vcore back and set the multipler to 18 and running great at 3.6 (Note : for normal use I set multipler to 16 and run at 3.2 GHz - BUT 3.8 is there if I want it.). Some, with better HSF are hiting 4.0 on the i5-750.