Sign in with
Your question

Friends vs. Watercooling, which one? (Diablo 3)

Last response: in Overclocking

Buy D3 or Get Watercooling?

Total: 33 votes (4 blank votes)

• Diablo 3
  • 35 %
  • Watercooling
  • 63 %
  • Diablo 3, lesser performance Watercooling loop.
  • 4 %
a c 149 K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 3:57:03 AM

A interesting scenario has popped up! A lot of my friends have been playing D3 and would like me to join them. They really want me to play D3 with them, however I don't know what to do! :o  Buy watercooling parts or buy Diablo 3 and play with them!! Anyone want to post their thoughts here?
a c 149 K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 3:57:27 AM

This poll is closed...?
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 4:45:28 AM

Odd- I tried to edit it and can't get it to show either.

Edit: fixed.
Related resources
a c 149 K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 5:15:18 AM

Maybe wait a bit more until D3 servers aren't going haywire :o  Maybe I can get both? :love: 
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 5:16:43 AM

W/c parts man, then you won't need friends, you'll have W/c contacts,
Besides you can always get D3 later
*Edit, and option 3 offends me lol, no such thing as lesser, you build/make the best loop you possibly can :-)
a c 149 K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 5:18:39 AM

Even one of the teachers at my school has been pushing me to get D3! :o 
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 5:21:47 AM

He has a job, let him buy it for you hehe
Unless D3 is a step up in your grading system? :-p
Moto
a c 149 K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 5:25:10 AM

He's a 6th grade science teacher unfortunately...i'm in 8th grade :p  Went to Yosemite and he was a chaperone and apparently he likes computers, games, and a bunch of things I didn't expect!
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 6:17:19 AM

Who'd have thunk it? Teachers am peoples two?
:p 
Moto
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 19, 2012 11:34:45 PM

I'm thinking the entire purpose of this poll in the watercooling forum is strictly for humor...no one in their right mind (well, in this forum at least) would ever vote for anything other than #2.
a c 149 K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 1:09:03 AM

Up to my mom :D 
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 9:19:28 AM

Has your Mom seen some of the projects and ideas in here?
Show her some of our rigs and get her into it man :) 
Moto
May 20, 2012 9:35:23 AM

Hahahahahahaha if your temps are fine and you're running an average rig then just get the game. An aircooler is fine for most systems...but then again, who am i to say that your system is like most? :D 

And having water in your system, or anything even vaguely liquid, will pose risks, even if you do follow all the rules like using distilled water etc. If you're comp doesn't need it then it's not worth risking frying your system, imo.
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 9:43:19 AM

Muffin has been planning to get into water for some time,
I don't think that the air is good enough argument is going to wash with him, its a want, not a need hehe
its just that this game has distracted him slightly and he needs poking with a stick to refocus his mind
Moto
a c 130 K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 9:43:57 AM

Impossible for me to answer w/o knowing what you are cooling. If its a SB CPU, unless you are looking to get ya name listed on some web site's OC "I was able to keep my system stable long enough to run this bench" list.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Quote:
It's almost ironic that coolers like this are becoming available just as processors transition to designs that may ultimately render them unnecessary; even overclocked to 5GHz, an Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K doesn't need anywhere near this level of cooling.
May 20, 2012 2:39:18 PM

buy watercooling because i got diablo 3 and was like "meh" and went back to playing counter strike global offensive beta and battlefield 3. like moto said, once you start watercooling you wont need friends, haha.
a c 149 K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 6:04:39 PM

EDIT:
Brag to friends! :D 
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 6:37:58 PM

bennaye said:

And having water in your system, or anything even vaguely liquid, will pose risks, even if you do follow all the rules like using distilled water etc. If you're comp doesn't need it then it's not worth risking frying your system, imo.

Most of us have been watercooling for many years- almost 10 for me...

Let me know when I should be worrying about leaks...I didn't know I was supposed to. I've built all my own loops and the only issue I've had with hardware my my own fault. Other than that...can you tell me when I'll have a catastrophic leak that will fry everything?

I must be long overdue according this warning.
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 7:21:28 PM

+1, does that mean I should put towels down and be there when leaktesting instead of going to sleep and checking it later?
:p 
Moto
a c 149 K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 10:48:30 PM

Should I leak test the loop outside of the system? Then install it if there aren't any leaks, while I'm at it I can also get rid of air bubbles!
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 12:24:26 AM

I've never leak tested outside a case and then reinstalled in the case...you essentially need to leak test each time the loop is re-assembled. I think it's a good idea to test brand new pumps prior to installing just to test and make sure the pump is working correctly. This also helps the user determine how much power the pump is pushing so that when they complain that the 'pump isn't moving water' after it's been installed, it's easier to determine if it's an airlock, blockage, high restriction or the pump is just bad...you can eliminate 'bad pump' and address the other possibilities.
a c 149 K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 12:34:14 AM

Before putting it together I should take the block apart and rinse it with hot water, I should rinse the rest of the parts as well right?
May 21, 2012 12:45:54 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Most of us have been watercooling for many years- almost 10 for me...

Let me know when I should be worrying about leaks...I didn't know I was supposed to. I've built all my own loops and the only issue I've had with hardware my my own fault. Other than that...can you tell me when I'll have a catastrophic leak that will fry everything?

I must be long overdue according this warning.

Not sure if attacking my opinion, or just trying to brag...or all of the above.

Lol obviously not everyone is as skilled/experienced as you are. I was merely pointing out that there are certain risks involved if you don't do it right, and it would seem getting it right would be a fair challenge for the inexperienced. Good for you if you didn't know about the possibility of leakage in a watercooling loop :p  Ignorance is bliss.

And fry might have been too strong a word.
May 21, 2012 1:02:59 AM

bennaye said:

Lol obviously not everyone is as skilled/experienced as you are. I was merely pointing out that there are certain risks involved if you don't do it right, and it would seem getting it right would be a fair challenge for the inexperienced. Good for you if you didn't know about the possibility of leakage in a watercooling loop :p  Ignorance is bliss.

It honestly doesn't take any real "skill" to set-up a cooling loop, mate. Just funds, if you have the extra scratch then why the heck not?

Naturally, there are also ways to ensure that the loop doesn't leak and that all components in the loop are "up to snuff". If the proper precautions are taken, the only way a loop will leak is due to a faulty component or the user's own incompetence. One of which can be easily identified and remedied by simply leak testing.
May 21, 2012 1:09:32 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Muffin has been planning to get into water for some time,
I don't think that the air is good enough argument is going to wash with him, its a want, not a need hehe
its just that this game has distracted him slightly and he needs poking with a stick to refocus his mind
Moto

"Wash with him," i see what you did there. ;) 

(edit)
Go watercooling man, :)  i'm confident about getting my first kit soon thanks to Moto, we could keep eachother up-to-date with our progress.
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 3:58:49 AM

@Muffin, yes mate, you rinse all your gear before installing to make sure there is no leftover crap from the manufacturing process in your loop,
you can build the loop outside and cycle it for a while or you can drop the kit into a sink and manually wash everything,
downside of that method to me is its time/labour intensive, I like to set a loop up with a bucket and just cycle for a few hours, it flushes flux, dust and anything else out into the receptacle used, tie a muslin bag over the intake tube if you want to filter anything getting back in though
if you leaktest outside the case, you will need to retest once you install it in the case as you have moved joints and potentially opened up leakpoints,
better in my opinion to set the loop up in the case and flush/leaktest simultaneously, although this does require great caution, and faith in your skills (I check everything about ten times before starting to fill)
Thank you for the compliment Crest, and yes, if you guys all chat to each other about your W/c experiences it will help all of you understand a little more and possibly avoid any boo-boos :p 
a clever man learns from his mistakes, but a wise man learns from others mistakes
Moto
a c 324 K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 3:33:08 PM

Quote:

Lol obviously not everyone is as skilled/experienced as you are. I was merely pointing out that there are certain risks involved if you don't do it right, and it would seem getting it right would be a fair challenge for the inexperienced. Good for you if you didn't know about the possibility of leakage in a watercooling loop Ignorance is bliss.

It was more debating your position of
Quote:
If you're comp doesn't need it then it's not worth risking frying your system, imo.

This is a bit subjective based on each person, don't you think? I personally feel that watercooling is worth it, which is also why I do it right. If you don't that's your stance and I respect that...but a bit brazen to mention in the watercooling forum; it's what we do here.

Distilled water is also only truly non-conductive for a matter of minutes (at best) as are any fluids used. You are correct that risks do go up substantially if you don't do it right, but as Doom mentioned above, there really isn't any skill involved. The biggest key is understanding what you are doing and knowing how to setup your build. If you are someone prone to cutting corners or just doing everything the easy way, it likely isn't a cooling solution for you.

There are a lot of people far more elaborate builds than I have, but it all comes down to knowing what you need and how to build what you want.
a c 149 K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 3:38:39 PM

Watercooling because of expandability

Expandability=Me Gusta.
a c 125 K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 3:48:46 PM

Watercooling is for life, friends can wait :p 
a c 76 K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 5:49:58 PM

watercooling first man, friends def have better rigs than you to play D3 without worry of running hot....or they don't know you've bitten by radioactive *watercooling* spider last nite.
!