Sign in with
Your question

Two hard drives at different speeds?

Last response: in Storage
November 5, 2011 12:50:52 AM

I'm currently using a pc that has a 5400 rpm hard drive. However I also have a 1tb 7200rpm hard drive just sitting in my closet. So basically my question is can I run two hard drives at different speeds?

Also I'm planning to run my games off of the second hard drive (the 7200rpm hard drive). Would there be a performance hit if I booted my OS from the slower hdd and my games on the faster one? Or is it better to have it both on the faster one? ( im trying to avoid reinstalling my OS.

thanks in advance

More about : hard drives speeds

a b G Storage
November 5, 2011 1:07:21 AM

Yes, of course you can use it provided that there is a space for it.

As to performance, what dimension and what capacity are those 2 drive?
m
l
a b G Storage
November 5, 2011 1:12:24 AM

Yes you can use both at different speeds, they are independent of one another. It's fine which ever setup you choose to have the os and game on. The game will load faster on the faster hdd. You could just clone the 5400rpm hdd onto the faster one so you don't have to reinstall.
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2011 1:46:11 AM

would cloning from one hard drive to another work for windows 7?
m
l
a b G Storage
November 5, 2011 1:49:50 AM

Yes, W7 includes system image backup.

Also, what dimension and capacity are they? Without knowing these, there is no way of telling which drive is faster, the rpm is only part of the story.
m
l
November 5, 2011 2:01:01 AM

Pyree said:
Yes, W7 includes system image backup.

Also, what dimension and capacity are they? Without knowing these, there is no way of telling which drive is faster, the rpm is only part of the story.

both are 1tb drives, im not to sure what you mean by dimensions though
m
l
a b G Storage
November 5, 2011 2:03:17 AM

2.5 vs 3.5 inch.

But I assume that they are both 3.5 because you said they are 1TB and 1TB 2.5 HDD is rare.

In that case, 7200rpm drive is going to be faster.
m
l
!