Need to choose

dead_95

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
it got a new PC but without GPU............. I was reccomend to choose between the following:

Nvidia:GTX 260 , GTX 285 , GTX 275 , 9800GT , GTX 280

ATI:HD 5770 , HD 5750 , HD 5850 , HD 4850 , HD 4890

Well which one of the above is good for gaming and multimedia purpose......( thinking to have 1 from Nvidia)....and can I have the prices and performance chart.........plzz

thanks in advance

performance.gif

Pick ya budget and then mozy on over here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2464.html

Many peeps waited for the 5xxx introduction thinking it would drive prices down. The opposite has happened.

-ATI's flagship dingle GPU card (5870) and dual GPU card (5970) are as much as 13% over list on newegg.
-NVidia's flagship 295 GTX was sellling for $459 last month and now has risen to $529

As both use the same manufacturing plant to make their stuff, poor production yields on both lines as well as market conditions have bumped up prices.

As you seem to be leading towards the nVidia side, I assume that's cause of PhysX. Two of my sons are absolutely gaga about Batman so I can understand why. If my assumption is off, you can read about PhysX here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/batman_arkham_asylum_physx_performance/page2.asp
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylum,2465-11.html

If you read the GFX card roundup above, you will see that the Nvidia cards (as well as the 5xxx cards) win in two of the categories....and in those cases it was a 3 way tie between the 4870, 260 and 5770. In all other instances, the ATI 4xxx series was determined to be the better value. The 295 did get an "honorable mention" in the $465 budget category for which they could pick no 'winner", writing that the 295 was:

"Essentially two conjoined GeForce GTX 275s, the GeForce GTX 295 offers very notable gains over the Radeon HD 5870 in the great majority of game titles, although the Radeon will use far less power doing so."

Of course if ya wanna go all out, twin 5870's and a GTX 260 as a dedicated PhysX card would be a way to go :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-ATI-physx-patch-gpu,8786.html?xtmc=play_nice_ati_physx&xtcr=1

dead_95

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
my spec :screen 1680x 1050
: psu-550W
:cpu core 2 duo@2.8GHZ(upgrading to i7 or quad core shortly)
; want to play lastest games..

budget.........lets say around the $ 300-$402

The difference isn't much really,the Corsair one is modular and the Antec one isn't,also the Antec one provides 57A on 12V rails whereas the Corsair one provides 54a on 12V rails,so both are fine,if you want a modular PSU go for the Corsair one

Well that's certainly a personal decision. THG's reviewer seemed pretty impressed with it.

However, when PhysX is enabled, it adds superlative nuances and really creates some “wow” moments. The chunky explosions, cloth effects, paper, fog, and environmental detail enhancements are very cool.

Once hardware-accelerated PhysX is enabled, this is another matter entirely.....the eye candy is a lot of fun to watch. Once you've turned it on, it's not something you'll turn off if your hardware can handle it.

The effects described and in the video here:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/batman_arkham_asylum_physx_performance/page2.asp

Don't require me to look at the captions to see what the differences are as I had to do when looking at the Heaven DX11 benchmark on the Extremetech site

Only time will tell what DX11 will bring but if I had to choose, solely based upon what i see in Batman (PhysX) and Battleforge (DX11), DX11 ain't the winner.

dead_95

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

:sweat: as you say am in a f*ck*** AAAAAAAARRRRRHHHH :cry: .................dont know if to go with PhyX or DX 11 or again to wait for the next generation of Nvidia........................ :pfff: am also gonna be mad.......... :pt1cable:

clinomaniac

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
No point looking at cards higher than ATI 4XXX range let alone next gen Nvidia cards or ATI 5XXX series with that processor!

You say you plan on upgrading to i7? You do know that is going to require almost a complete overhaul of your current rig right? It's basically a new PC.
With a $300-$400 budget you are much better off just getting a single HD4870/GTX260, a Q6600 G0 quad core or Q9400 CPU and overclock it.

At 1680x1050 you will be able to play the latest games for quite a while as both those processors will reach 3.4GHz for sure on air.

As for the power supplies you listed, I would get the Corsair HX620 everytime. You don't need 850W..... however i would advise that you save your money now for i7 or even i9.

Personally if I was in your situation I would spend ~$400 like this:

CPU: Q9400 $180 - Good value quad core with good overclocking potential.
PSU: OCZ ModXstream 500W $60 - Decent power supply for a tight budget. Plus it's modular.
GFX: HD4870/GTX260 216 $175 - Either of these cards will fit with the system. I would probably lean towards the GTX260 for PhysX and better drivers.

This will give you a big performance boost, much more so than just shoving a Hd5850 in there even though the HD5850 walks all over the GTX260... Like some other people have said a Core2Duo processor, even overclocked will be a performance bottleneck for the HD5850, better off sticking to the cards that were made for that generation of processors. Make sure you have a good CPU heatsink if you plan on overclocking. NEVER overclock with a stock heatsink.

Is your current power supply branded? If it's fairly decent then no need to get a new one, 550W is fine.

clinomaniac

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
No risk, it just means that the graphics card won't perform anywhere near it's potential, so basically it's a massive waste of money. With a PC it's important to get a good balance of components. If you only plan on a graphics upgrade then I strongly suggest an ATI HD4870 or nvidia GTX260 216core and nothing higher tier than those.

However I would strongly recommend a CPU upgrade to quad core as more and more games are utilising the extra cores, plus the two I mentioned are good overclockers and so you will be getting more performance for your money. A lot of games are more CPU dependent anyway. especially games like GTA IV.

Generally speaking the processor will determine the minimum frames per second in a game and the graphics card will determine the maximum frames, therefore a good balance will give you a good average frames per second. So you see what I mean by a bottleneck. even if you have an epic graphics card, if the processor isn't at the same standard then you will see minimal improvements. Of course this is a generalisation but the latest cards are best paired with Core i5/i7 systems.

Hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS