Amd workstation motherboard

RocketNut

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I looking for a AMD motherboard that can handle at 32G of memory. I have been looking at workstation boards, there way out of funds that my bank account can handle.

No motherboard for an AMD desktop processor has more than 4 memory slots. 4 x 8GB modules, if they exist, would definitely be more expensive than 8 x 4GB server grade modules.

Your options are an AMD Opteron or an Intel Xeon processor along with a workstation/server motherboard. In this case, the Intel platform offers more options.

RocketNut

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Thats what my web seaching turned up. I am building a CAD system (reason for the amount of memoryn I need). What AMD Opteron motherboard would you suggest? First what is the diffance beween Opteron and the PhenomII X6? Two what is the diffance between Black and Non-Back editions?

Agian thank you for your help.

An AMD build will probably cost you more an provide lower performance than an Intel solution, but I presume that you already know that.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/OpteronCPUResult.aspx?f1=Six-Core+AMD+Opteron%E2%84%A2

I don't know what motherboard is best for Opterons as they are somewhat difficult to find. Check with motherboard manufacturers to get their recommendations.

Opteron processors are designed for server motherboards.

Back Edition processors are unlocked.

Edit: If you want an AMD build, check the following components that were proposed by another member in a different thread:

- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105266&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131643&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

RocketNut

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I was looking around the web and it seems your right a Intel workstation mother board is cheaper. So my next question is what Intel processor/workstation motherboard would you suggest.

I recommend that you create a new thread as more members are familiar with Intel workstations. Don't forget to mention that you absolutely need 32GB of memory; otherwise you'll be told that you should build a system around an i7-930 or faster and 24GB of memory (which would be plenty fast if 24GB of RAM and an SSD for very fast I/O would also meet the requirements).

Edit: While Intel server motherboards are less expensive, Xeon processors are rather expensive (they also are very fast).

RocketNut

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I am building a new CAD system. The current project I am working on has eaten almost all the 16G max of my Gigabye MO.

I just check out the MO you suggested. Thanks for the info.

I love the "32GB (8GB tested)" comment in the description. Since it wasn't tested with more than 8GB, how can one determine that 32GB will work and where can 8GB DDR3 modules be bought? Those are questions that need to be answered.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Valid questions/concerns. The 8GB tested vice 32GB could be attributed to the fact that most users don't use more than 8GB in consumer MBs and therefore the vendor didn't conduct testing beyond that point. This could also be related to the sheer cost/availability of the higher density memory required to get to 32GB. I would imagine other consumer 4-DIMM slot MBs could also support more memory (theoretical) if available.

Still, given the original question by RocketNut, there does seem to be a solution available.

^ Pretty much. They do have 8GB FBDIMMs however: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134650

newegg reviewer:
Pros: Great performance even though its 667. The server took the 64GB we put in for a client and not one stick has gone bad.
Cons: The heat from these things while they are on a packed load is just plain stupid, does not help with the i7 set up. Price is killer too when its just over 7 grand for what whole set.
Other Thoughts: If your considering this for a small business you really should get it. But if your looking at it just to make your desktop look like the coolest thing on the block dont be an idiot
Any one know of a board with an i7 + DDR2?!?!?! AFAIK LGA1366/LGA1156 support only DDR3?