Partial build, recommendations?

kaou

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I've already purchased a few parts, and I would like some input on whether the remaining parts will work well together.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE
: Next couple of weeks.

SYSTAM USAGE: CPU intensive simulations, Internet, Games.

PREFERRED WEBSITES: Newegg, Amazon.

PARTS PREFERENCE: Intel CPU
Core i5-750
Gigabyte P55A UD3 Will the Gigabyte P55A-UD3R be worth it for the ALC 889 audio?
G.Skill DDR3 RAM

OVERCLOCKING: Prefer not to.

MONITOR: Considering the following;

Dell P2210H
Acer H213H

ALREADY PURCHASED:

Antec 300
Corsair 650W
WD Black 750GB
NipponLabs Card reader

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Parts that I am still undecided on are the keyboard, optical drive, and GPU. If possible, I would like a keyboard with backlit/illuminated keys that won't wear out easily. The optical drive only needs to burn/read CDs/DVDs, don't need Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. As for the GPU, I was thinking ATI's Radeon HD5770 would be a good choice. Any recommended brands or versions at this time?

Solution
No problem.

You can output video from a card to any many displays as the card supports. However, whether the images will be mirrored or not depends on the driver. I'm on nVidia and I can have 2 outputs at the same time. Each of them is independent of one another and have their own windows. FYI, gaming on multi-monitors must be done in windowed mode.

Yes, your idea of outputting video thru different connectors will work.

Crossfire and USB 3.0 & SATA III are 3 different things. Each has their own chip. They won't interfere with each other.

The mobo comes with 2 SATA data cables & 1 PATA cable. The case comes with screws & standoffs. You can see 'em in the photos at newegg. You don't need anything else other than some hardware tools...

p55ibexpeak

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
UD3 is fine. I don't know where UD3R is available, other than GB site.

Saitek PZ30AUR Red 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Slim Eclipse Keyboard - Retail
SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223B - OEM
XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

Double Lifetime Manufacture Warranty for the gpu. No brainer.

kaou

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Thanks for the recommendations p55ibexpeak! :)

I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with outputting to three monitors using the 5770. The Dell monitor has a display-port, so I assume it's as easy as plugging that in along with a 2nd monitor in DVI, and say a TV with HDMI? Can these be different resolutions and still work fine or do they need to match.

Also wondering if I later decide to Crossfire on the UD3, if it will still allow high enough bandwidth that an SSD in S-ATA III would make any difference. I've heard conflicting opinions on if you can CF and still use USB 3.0 or SATA III, has anyone had luck running CF with both USB 3.0 and SATA III?

If I buy the parts in my list, and those suggested by p55ibexpeak, will I not require any extra cables, because I don't have any lying around to use.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

p55ibexpeak

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
No problem.

You can output video from a card to any many displays as the card supports. However, whether the images will be mirrored or not depends on the driver. I'm on nVidia and I can have 2 outputs at the same time. Each of them is independent of one another and have their own windows. FYI, gaming on multi-monitors must be done in windowed mode.

Yes, your idea of outputting video thru different connectors will work.

Crossfire and USB 3.0 & SATA III are 3 different things. Each has their own chip. They won't interfere with each other.

The mobo comes with 2 SATA data cables & 1 PATA cable. The case comes with screws & standoffs. You can see 'em in the photos at newegg. You don't need anything else other than some hardware tools like a screw driver.

Solution
You do not want to run Crossfire on the UD3 since it runs its second PCI-E slot at 4x. You'll want a motherboard that runs the slots at 8x in crossfire.

GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $149.99

or

ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $169.99

Just be sure to get a SATA DVD burner. I've had great luck with Samsung DVD burners.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100005%201038406820%201036506653&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

I wouldn't get CAS 9 RAM. Here's a nice CAS 7 DDR3 1333 kit:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH - Retail $99.99

kaou

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I just noticed that the UD3 had x4 on that second slot and was contemplating getting the UD4 as well.
I think I'll just go with the UD3 and save $50 towards getting a better single GPU solution anyway. It should allow for ~ $50 + $160 (a second 5700) so around $200. Would there be any problem with running a faster GPU on the UD3, assuming I turn of the Turbo mode of USB3.0/SATA III?

Will the lower timing(CAS 7) be more useful than increased frequency of a DDR3 1600?

Seeing as both replies suggested Samsung DVDs, I think I'll pick one of those up. Thanks.

If there are any compatibility issues, or if I'm missing required cables I'd be grateful for a reply pointing it out.