Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are Files Readable Between two Windows OS's?

Last response: in Windows XP
June 12, 2012 9:11:29 AM

Hello Cybertechs, how's ya? :bounce: 

I was running W98. I put 20 Gigs of information on the hard drive. I copied some of these files to a disk. I deleted W98, and completely removed the Windows folder and did not do an "upgrade" install with another operating system. Then I did a fresh install of ME. Immediately after the install, all of the 20 Gigs on the hd showed up as, "DF*GHU@J%@#!@FG". Would switching OS's cause this to happen? That is pretty inconvenient if it does. :ouch: 

If I am running ME and I insert the W98 info disk, can it be read? If I am running XP, can it be read?

The main question is: can information from one Windows OS be able to be read by another Windows OS, via by disk or by being on the same hd? :pt1cable: 

Captain Kirk :sol: 
USS Enterprise :hello: 

More about : files readable windows

June 12, 2012 12:12:41 PM

as long as the data is not corrupted, and the hard disk is not defective or damaged, then data can be read by any operating system. mac, linux, windows etc. If you had window98 on that computer then that computer is REAAAAALLLLY old. some components like the cmos battery and hard disk may be failing.
m
l
June 12, 2012 1:08:23 PM

Not to mention that ME is one of the worst OS's ever designed/built. It used to lose network settings on a daily basis. Luckily a quick system restore would usually fix it. It had a boat load of problems which is probably why XP came out a year later.
m
l
Related resources
June 12, 2012 1:39:38 PM

actually Windows ME was a last minute temporary solution. MS was soon to be releasing Windows 2000 which would force users to migrate from DOS to the NT Kernel as well as have much steeper system requirements. users and corporations balked at the increased system requirements for Windows 2000 and complained to MS. As a result MS released this poorly tested, unstable, bastard of a child called Windows ME to give users more time to upgrade their equipment to be compatible with the more secure and stable new platform of Windows 2000. So the upshot is, don't use Windows ME if you dont have to haha
m
l
June 13, 2012 2:32:26 AM

nhasian, hello, good to hear from you :hello:  When I saw your name I was a little surprised to see you :lol:  A familiar face, or in this case a familiar name :whistle:  How you been bro? That's cool that you responded to my last post :)  And then again, on this one ;) 

I'm running XP now, but I was running W98 and ME. I was just curious, but mainly I wanted to know to see if the CD's that I had made that are in storage would still run, and that if I could recover this information. Also, the other reason, was that I have 20-80 gigs of information on a hd that will be lost due to me deleting it because of its uselessness, if I can't read it. I'm pretty sure that it was related to the change in the OS because at one point after the change it asked if I wanted to convert it. But I'm not quite sure if this worked. The process also took a long time :sarcastic: 

So you don't like ME huh, well, might as well throw away my ME OS disk. Just thought that I might still be able to use it. I know XP is better, and 7 and 8 is coming out, but its always good to have a back up OS disk to use in times of computer repair. I know that Vista is said to be sucky, eats of RAM, and is not all that good, but I haven't heard that ME is an "unstable platform". I guess some people dislike ME so much that they have now termed it the "Mistake Edition", short for the abbreviation of ME :whistle: 

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise
m
l
June 13, 2012 3:25:27 AM

Hey Hawkeye22, thanks for the response :ange: 

I have never heard that ME was one of the worst OS's ever built, maybe that's why people are saying that its name really is the (M)istake (E)dition. Lost network settings? Man, that can be a real pain in the butt. And then have to perform a system restore just to solve it. It sounds like the solution is just as painful as the problem. A system restore takes a while too :p 

No, I think that the worst OS ever made was W3.1 or Linux, except that Linux does have some good security features :kaola: 

So I take it that if you had a ME OS disk, that you would have thrown it away a long time ago? It's not worth keeping? :sleep: 

Do you have any ideas about whether information is compatible between Windows operating systems, when saved to a disk or Hard Drive (hd), that when OS's may have change on the same OS that the information could be readable? :bounce: 

Captain Kirk :D 
USS Enterprise
m
l
June 13, 2012 5:10:45 AM

as I mentioned in the previous post, yes data is readable regardless of what operating system is installed on your hard disk. Also you might want to check out linux again. I run Ubuntu 12.04 on one laptop and Fedora 17 on another. Although I own a Windows 7 license, its not installed on any of my computers.
m
l
June 13, 2012 11:49:35 AM

James T Kirk USS Enterprise said:
Hey Hawkeye22, thanks for the response :ange: 

I have never heard that ME was one of the worst OS's ever built, maybe that's why people are saying that its name really is the (M)istake (E)dition. Lost network settings? Man, that can be a real pain in the butt. And then have to perform a system restore just to solve it. It sounds like the solution is just as painful as the problem. A system restore takes a while too :p 

No, I think that the worst OS ever made was W3.1 or Linux, except that Linux does have some good security features :kaola: 

So I take it that if you had a ME OS disk, that you would have thrown it away a long time ago? It's not worth keeping? :sleep: 

Do you have any ideas about whether information is compatible between Windows operating systems, when saved to a disk or Hard Drive (hd), that when OS's may have change on the same OS that the information could be readable? :bounce: 

Captain Kirk :D 
USS Enterprise

Yes, I was working for an ISP when ME came out. We never got so many technical support calls until then. Like I said, ME was constantly losing it's network settings. We set up test machines at work and they would do the same thing. It was hard to walk older people through the network settings. It was easier for them to do a system restore - just pick yesterday's date and let it do it's thing. There were plenty of other issues too, but this is the one I remember most.
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:27:36 AM

as I mentioned in the previous post, yes data is readable regardless of what operating system is installed on your hard disk. Also you might want to check out linux again. I run Ubuntu 12.04 on one laptop and Fedora 17 on another. Although I own a Windows 7 license, its not installed on any of my computers.

Yes, I was working for an ISP when ME came out. We never got so many technical support calls until then. Like I said, ME was constantly losing it's network settings. We set up test machines at work and they would do the same thing. It was hard to walk older people through the network settings. It was easier for them to do a system restore - just pick yesterday's date and let it do it's thing. There were plenty of other issues too, but this is the one I remember most.

nhasian,
I'm going to get the W7 demo pretty soon, but I'm not really looking forward to using it. Heard it eats up just as much memory as Vista. One of my friends had a problem with the display -- it was stuck in 640*480 and the icons were REALLY big and not all of them would fit on the screen. You don't think that you need a 3D accelerator card 'just' to be ABLE to run W7 do you? When he got a 3D card -- it worked just fine: imagine that!!! It doesn't sound like W7 is all that. Think I'll stick with the previous version.
I have Puppy, Mint, and Knoppix, but Fedora is scratched and won't fully install. But I don't know much about linux, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth remembering how when the last two times that I used them my system crashed and I was left staring at a blank screen with an error message on it for days...

Hawkeye22,
I didn't know that a system restore could fix the system settings. I didn't know that it was that easy. Thanks for the info. Do you think the system restore would fix the system settings of other Windows OS if there was a problem?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise
m
l
June 15, 2012 11:33:53 AM

System restore can't fix everything. It won't fix corrupt programs. It will restore registry entries and certain system files and drivers. Any programs you installed since the restore date may need reinstalled also.
m
l
June 15, 2012 1:16:08 PM

what you are describing is when you do not install video drivers it defaults to a VGA screen at a low resolution. Once you install the correct video drivers then it works fine.

it was stuck in 640*480 and the icons were REALLY big and not all of them would fit on the screen. You don't think that you need a 3D accelerator card 'just' to be ABLE to run W7 do you?

m
l
June 16, 2012 8:23:35 AM

Hawkeye22 :sol: 
Thanks for telling me about what exactly that the system restore COULD do -- I wasn't quite sure exactly, I just knew that it helped.

What would happen if you had hd#1 with W98 FAT32 and you copied these files onto hd#2 that was running XP NTFS. If your current OS of the 2 hd's that are hooked together in the same computer was XP, would the 20 Gigs of info that you copied over be seen as scrambled letters, be unreadable, and be unable to open them as the computer did not recognize them as the original files that they had been?

nhasian :D 
I found out that you are right. The problem was that the video card was not compatible with W7 and that even an update couldn't find the drivers that my friend needed. From what I've heard -- W7 comes with HALF the drivers that XP came with. But if W7 is better than XP, the only way that I can see that it is, is if it uses less CPU because it certainly "doesn't" use less RAM, but rather uses twice as much. So far W7 still doesn't look that good. But my friend says W7 runs smoothly, or "okay". But so does any other OS...

Captain Kirk :hello: 
USS Enterprise

m
l
June 16, 2012 3:47:09 PM

What would happen if you had hd#1 with W98 FAT32 and you copied these files onto hd#2 that was running XP NTFS.

The data you transferred would be readable just fine. it would not be scambled because transferring files between a FAT32 partition to an NTFS partition is standard procedure. It doesnt matter what operating systems also happen to be installed on those drives.

I found out that you are right. The problem was that the video card was not compatible with W7 and that even an update couldn't find the drivers that my friend needed

could you clarify something? when you say "the video card was not compatible with Windows 7" do you mean that the manufacturer does not provide Visa or Windows 7 drivers for the video card? Or do you mean that Windows does not have built in drivers for that video card and you did not manually download and install them from the manufacturer?
m
l
June 17, 2012 7:27:59 AM

nhasian,
Windows7 did not have the needed drivers necessary to use the onboard video chip that is built into the mboard. I'm sure my friend is smart enough to have gone to the manufacturers website if he "could" get drivers for the video chip. If he would have been able to get the drivers, he definitely would not have went out and bought a new video card!

I was getting 20 gigs of scrambled info in the form of, "sg$%^wsrsrt#%asf#@kh" after the transition between W98 and ME. The 20 gigs of info stayed on the same hd. The files can't be opened, as if the computer does not recognize them and cannot "read" them. You were trying to tell me that "all" files can be read, but these files are NOT being read. I thought the possible reason may have been because the difference between a FAT32 and NTFS file format.

You were telling me that maybe I should use Linux to fix it, so I used Gparted again. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I formatted the hd. And now...
when I boot the computer, I get a, "A Disk Read Error Has Occurred. Press CTRL + ALT + Del to Restart" along with a black screen. I have put XP in the drive and booted. I have put Knoppix in the drive and booted. And I have booted 12 times. Every time that I boot, I get the same message.

When I get the error message, colored dots with letters that don't appear on the keyboard in the middle of the dots appears. There are two diagonal lines on the screen. Every time that I boot, there is always the same two rows pattern of dots.
One time, everytime that I booted, there were three green dots, 2 blue dots, and 1 gray dot. The symbols in the middle of the colored dots were, 1) a 90 degree "L", 2) an o with a ` above it, 3) an e with a ` above it, 4) a circle with an arrow out of the top, 5) a ".", 6) and a upside down h. There are a total of 7 dots. 5 dots are blinking.

Then I unplugged the power cord, pressed the power button for 10 seconds, waited 30 seconds, plugged the power cord back in and rebooted. Now this time when I rebooted, I got seven dots in two rows that were all in green, and that had the 90 degree angle "L" symbol in the middle of them. 5 dots were blinking. Now, everytime that I rebooted, I got this same color of 7 dots and all the same symbols in the middle of them.

Hawkeye22, what do I do?
nhasian, I'm drastically stuck here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain Kirk

m
l
June 17, 2012 9:52:29 AM

I know you've had plenty of good advice from Nhasian and Hawkeye but my two-pennyworth is to take that hard disk and slave it to one of the Linux OS then transfer those files out of there. The file format for '98 and ME will have been FAT32 and Linux can read that as well as NTFS.

It's worth a few pounds, dollars or Euros to buy a converted to plus via USB into one of your laptops and you'll be eliminating the possibility of the motherboard it's currently plugged into being flawed..

m
l
June 18, 2012 11:53:56 AM

You were telling me that maybe I should use Linux to fix it, so I used Gparted again. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I formatted the hd. And now...
when I boot the computer, I get a, "A Disk Read Error Has Occurred.

I don't recall anyone telling you to format the drive. I think nhasian meant to use a linux live cd to boot from then see if you could copy the files over ok. Formatting the drive erases all data from the drive and in fact, it should have warned you of this when you did it.
m
l
June 18, 2012 6:42:21 PM

Sounds like you need to take your computer to someone that knows how to work with them a bit better. Unless what you are trying to open was corrupt to begin with, or made with an application you don't have installed on XP, where you open the file does not matter. I have a resume I made around the Windows 95/98 era, opens up just fine on my Windows 7 machine.

You are not quite getting the replies to your post, which ends up leading to more issues.

What type of files were you trying to open? Were they encrypted or encoded in any way on the old OS? Did you check if the files were readable after you copied them or did you copy the data and wipe the old OS without making sure the copy was done?
m
l
June 18, 2012 10:53:00 PM

Hello hang-the-9, I remember you -- how's ya? :) 
I was running W98 FAT32 and installed ME. Somehow I thought that it may have changed it to NTFS. The 20 Gigs of files were just fine in W98. When I installed ME over W98, that is when the files became unreadable and turned into, "sdfg@#&*%FG3%G@#fdg". The files can't be opened as if it doesn't recognize them, so I guess it can't read them. In W98, the files were video game install folders plus a couple of other files and programs, so I guess that it doesn't really matter if I lose them, though I may have saved some of the information on a disk, and so that is why I was wondering whether this info would be read by XP NTFS, as I heard that the information from OS's of ME and before can't be recognized.

Immediately after installing ME over W98, I got a message on the screen about whether or not that I wanted to convert the information. This message is what led me to believe that maybe it had something to do with a FAT32 and NTFS issue, or maybe different OS issue. I selected, "no" to not convert. Later I realized that was no other way to see the files. Then I couldn't figure out how to activate that "convert" message. The files were not encrypted or encoded . I did not copy the data after the "unreadable" stage, but I may have copied some info onto a CD "before" this. :wahoo: 

Hawkeye22 :sweat: 
I have never heard of using a linux CD to be able to copy files over. What does a "Live CD" mean? Is there a difference between a regular CD and a "Live CD"? How would Linux be any different from any other Windows OS: does it have a special program or something? I could not read the info or salvage it. No one had any ideas, except that it SHOULD read, but it didn't. If the data was corrupted, I certainly did NOT want it on the hd. And so I DID want to erase it.

Saga Lout :na: 
I am running a second computer, but it is using XP. I did slave the unreadable hd to the second computer, and this is how I formatted the hd in the DOS prompt within windows. But it would have gone a whole lot smoother IF I had been able to get to a DOS prompt from a "Fresh Boot". I can do this with a desktop, but I can't with a laptop. And what I have now are 2 laptops. It would help me to fix it if you could tell me HOW to get to a DOS prompt from a "Fresh Boot" with a laptop! Do you know?

nhasian :heink: 
If what you meant by using Linux was to use it as a start up disk, then ya, that would work, if only it detected the CD. If you had intended me to use the Linux to "transfer" the files over to another hd, I don't know why I should use Linux instead of another windows OS, useless there is a special program in Linux that can help with this?

Captain Kirk :pt1cable: 
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:36:50 AM

Slave that disk back into your XP system and try to recover your files. Recuva is quite efficient and is free from the CCleaner people at http://www.piriform.com. Another good free one is Restoration 2514 but be careful where you download and make sure you only get what you went there for. Don't recover files to the same source - put them somewherre else, in your csae somewhere within the XP system.

The point of using Linux to help work with files is that it can often work properly when Windows can't and it isn't so precious about passwords and permissions, etc. set by Windows systems. It can also mount a drive when Windows can't.

m
l
June 19, 2012 11:47:24 AM

Hawkeye22 :sweat: 
I have never heard of using a linux CD to be able to copy files over. What does a "Live CD" mean? Is there a difference between a regular CD and a "Live CD"? How would Linux be any different from any other Windows OS: does it have a special program or something? I could not read the info or salvage it. No one had any ideas, except that it SHOULD read, but it didn't. If the data was corrupted, I certainly did NOT want it on the hd. And so I DID want to erase it.

A Linux Live CD is a self contained bootable linux distribution. The linux OS boot right off the CD/DVD, like a Windows PE disk. Linux live cd's seem more readily available than windows PE disks. Anyhow, once the OS is booted and you are able to see both drives, you can copy files from one drive to the other.
m
l
June 19, 2012 1:45:05 PM

If the file was seen by 98 or ME, XP can see and read it. What you may have heard is that some "Programs" may not work in XP that ran in 98 or ME. XP will read FAT32 files with no issues.

What may have happened is that the conversion to NTFS from FAT32 corrupted the files. Although from your post it's not too clear if it was actually converted.
m
l
June 19, 2012 8:25:30 PM

Hawkeye22,
Now I remember you from another post! How's it going? Ya, remember that you were the guy that was able to find and point out importaint things. Everyone else just commented like normal, but you seemed to be able to find key points. I thought I recognized your name at first, but I wasn't quite sure.

Hawkeye22, what is a Windows PE disk and how do I get one? What is the name of the program? Is it something similiar to a manufacturer's "Utility Disk"? So a "Live CD" means that you can run an OS or a program from the CD itself instead of having to install it. So then just about every Linux OS is considered a "Live CD" then?

Maybe I could have copied files from one drive to another, but what is the point if it can't read them? Anyways, its formatted now.

Saga Lout,
Is "Restoration 2514" or the program that you are referring to an "undelete program"? Because I AM actually looking for one of those -- have been looking for one of those for a long time, but not for this particular incident. Saga Lout, if it is not an "undelete program", then I won't be able to use it because I have already formatted it. In fact, I have formatted twice. In you last statement, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what you meant: so I put the recovered files in the Windows OS folder?
Here is what you said: "Don't recover files to the same source - put them somewherre else, in your csae somewhere within the XP system."
So within the "XP System" means within the XP folder? Unless this is what your talking about, I'm not quite sure what you mean. So if I have 20 gigs of info or whatever I was trying to recover, I would put it in the Windows folder? I'm confused...

nhasian,
Where'd you go? Now is the time when I need you the most. All of you talking about Linux and how it can be used as a recovery tool, so I guess I'll give it a try. I'm going to use Linux to try and fix this.
m
l
June 19, 2012 8:41:59 PM

hang-the-9,
Your right, that's probably what happened: the files got messed up from the conversion between FAT32 and NTFS.
hang-the-9, I tested the XP disk on another computer and its autoboot runs just fine. Looks like the CD is okay.

So far, this is what I have done to try and solve the problem, inbetween turning it off and then back on again:

--I ran a successful scan disk: chkdsk /f; 0 KB of bad sectors
--chkdsk /r test: no errors in file system, no problems found
--I have taken out the rechargable battery
--I have unplugged the power cord and pressed the power button for 10 second, then waited 30 seconds
--I have went into the bios and switched the setting to "restore to default"
--I put the rechargable battery back in
--I have went into the bios and switched the boot order to 1: boot from CD first
--With no CD in the the CD tray
--Without the CD tray in the computer
--I reseated the CD tray
--I took out the hd and reseated it
--Attached it as a slave to another computer and formatted it
--I added the startup disk system files to the hd
--With XP in the CD tray
--With Knoppix in the CD tray
--With Fedora in the CD tray

*NOTE: I still get this same error message even though there is no CD in the CD tray or when there is no CD tray in the computer!!!!!
*NOTE: There is no CMOS battery, so taking out the rechargable battery is equivolent to taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in.

Hawkeye22,
>There were no errors during the chkdsk /f, and it indicated that 0 KB are in bad sectors... Why did it not recognize the "/p" part of this command: chkdsk /r /p? I also ran a chkdsk /r test.
>How do you find a "live disk that has a command prompt" -- I want to get one!!! Do you know the name of one? The UBCD 5.1 that I have gets to a DOS prompt but can't access the other drives and system file commands, so its not really a DOS prompt. Getting to a DOS prompt from a "fresh boot" is much more useful, so if you know how to do this, I'd be nice if you could tell me.
>Is there something that is called an installation disk that might not be an OS disk? If so, how do I find one, and what is the name of an installation disk? Do you think this might be something from the manufacturer like the "Utility Disk" or something? Someone said that an installation disk had a "repair" section. I have heard of a "Startup Disk". Have you heard of it?
>By looking at this list, do you have any ideas? Does this description help? I have narrowed down the possibilities slightly haven't I? Hawkeye22, does it make it easier to pinpoint what it is?

nhasian,
Can you think of anything?
m
l
June 19, 2012 10:01:52 PM

nhasian,
I took your advice and went with Linux. Sure enough, it seems like it helped, but I'm still stuck. nhasian, where are you? I don't know much about Linux, but maybe you could help...

--I put the hd in an external drive case and USB'd it to another computer.
--The hd has been formatted once with NTFS.
--I formatted the hd again, this time with Linux ext 3.
--I installed Puppy on the hd, so that there was something on the hd and to try and erase the MBR if that was the problem.
--I double checked to make sure that the OS files were on the hd before proceeding, as Linux can also be run as a "Live CD" from the disk only.
--Now when I boot, I don't get the "Disk Read Error Has Occurred" error message
--When I boot, it tries to load the installation of Puppy, but is unable to.
--I have rebooted 8 times, just in case it was a fluke that the OS did not load up completely
--I put XP in the CD drive, with no response or indication otherwise after a reboot
--I put Knoppex in the CD drive and rebooted; it was not detected.
--I put the Puppy OS disk in the drive to see if this would help to finish loading Linux, but to no avail.
--I had trouble operating my space bar on the keyboard, as it would not compute and I could not enter the Puppy command to Live CD it
After leaving the computer on for a while without turning it off, I rebooted and had NO problems with the keyboard any more.
--I tried to run Puppy as a Live CD directly from the disk only with the Puppy Pfix = RAM command, but was unsuccessful.

***When Puppy tries to load, this is the error message that is returned: [ ' = with a single quote around it means words appear in red]
"Searching for files in computer disk drives... 'Lupu-501.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...' /bin/sh: can't access tty;
job control turned off. # _"

nhasian, what does this mean? What do I do now nhasian?
m
l
June 19, 2012 10:25:17 PM

at this point with the gparted and the formatting its pretty safe to say any data you previously had is gone. I parsed through all your messages in this thread and I don't believe you ever gave us your system specs. Does it meet the minimum requirements for the OS you are trying to install?
m
l

Best solution

June 20, 2012 11:54:24 AM

Hawkeye22, what is a Windows PE disk and how do I get one? What is the name of the program? Is it something similiar to a manufacturer's "Utility Disk"? So a "Live CD" means that you can run an OS or a program from the CD itself instead of having to install it. So then just about every Linux OS is considered a "Live CD" then?

A linux live cd is a self contained OS that boot's and runs from CD/DVD. Not all linux distrobutions are live. Some must be installed to the hard drive and run from there. There would be no boot loader on the cd/dvd, thus nothing to boot from on the dvd.

Windows PE is a lightweight pre-installation environment that can be booted and run from cd/dvd,... I like to use BART PE as it seems easier to add modules and programs plus has a GUI.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766093%28v...

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
June 21, 2012 7:00:44 AM

nhasian,
Good to hear you, Cyberbuddy.

"at this point with the gparted and the formatting its pretty safe to say any data you previously had is gone"

UNLESS I use a undelete program. Have you heard of this? And if so, do you know the name of one? I've been meaning to get one of these programs for a while. I definitely need one, especially in situations like this. You never know when you might need it...

Yes my computer meets the minimum specs:
Manufacturer: Compaq Evo
Notebook Model: N610c
Processor Type: Mobile Intel Pentium 4-M CPU 2

I have the UBCD 5.1, but am relatively new to its programs. nhasian, would this help me?

Hawkeye22,
So the GUI is an operating system? It is a computer repair tool? Would the BART PE help in this situation?

hang-the-9,
In your previous reply, you definitely answered the question that I needed to know to resolve the issue about the two OS's issue. This helped a lot and I am completely sure about what I needed to know about this compatibility issue, and what may have caused the error. Thanks hang-the-9!
Now I just have to solve my current delimena.

Saga Lout,
I didn't mean to bedazzle you about the details that you didn't know or know how to explain, and it may just as well have been the couple of misspelled words that made it confusing. Anyways, yes, this is an undelete program. I am going to check it out. I will test it to see if it works. But if it does work, then hats off to you Saga Lout, you may have just saved the day. Now all I have to do is just to get my computer running.
m
l
June 21, 2012 11:44:07 AM

Hawkeye22,
So the GUI is an operating system? It is a computer repair tool? Would the BART PE help in this situation?

Yes, it's a small self contained OS. You normally use it when your boot drive is not working and you would like to try and access it. You would boot from the CD/DVD instead. Read up on BART PE if you're interested.

Also, undelete programs only work if the file you deleted hasn't been overwritten yet. So, if you delete a file, then save a file over top of it, the original is gone forever. No undelete program can fix that.
m
l
June 21, 2012 7:08:03 PM

TestDisk, Data Recovery
TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

TestDisk Step By Step to recover lost partitions and repair damaged FAT/NTFS boot sector
Recover deleted files from NTFS partition

NOTE If seeked lost file are still missing, give PhotoRec a try. PhotoRec is a signature based file recovery utility and may be able to recover your data where other methods failed.

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.
m
l
June 21, 2012 7:15:08 PM

I know you were trying Linux earlier and I wanted to point out that there is currently a bug in the Ubuntu 12.04 linux kernel with older processors like yours that do not support Physical Address Extensions. I ran into it myself when I installed Ubuntu on a 7 year old notebook with a Pentium M processor. You can however successfully boot and install Xubuntu instead of the regular ubuntu because it uses a different kernel. then if you still wanted to install gnome3 you can do that too.

Processor Type: Mobile Intel Pentium 4-M CPU 2
m
l
June 22, 2012 8:13:27 AM

Hawkeye22,
Hey, good to hear from you bro!

"a small self contained OS. You normally use it when your boot drive is not working..."

I didn't know that: I've never heard of such a thing. That sounds like a cool computer repair tool. Thanks a lot Bro! This could potentially help a lot, and also make it easier for me in the future to fix my computer problems. This is great!!!

Read up on BART PE? No, I don't think so. I am going to do more than that: I am going to see if I can get this program!!! This is an ESSENTIAL tool for the computer repair arsenal.

And, as far an the undelete business goes: yes, you are right. It is true that if a program is written over the location on the hd where your deleted file was, then yes, your file is "forever" gone. However, if you did not write over that location of your deleted file with more data yet, then the file is still recoverable. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh, and by the way, thanks for the link, my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nhasian,
How's ya?
Wow, this is amazing, this sounds like a truely excellent program. TestDisk may just be what the doctor ordered. Thanks a lot man. This is wonderful. This will be VERY useful!!! Recover lost partitions? Holy macarol, this is like the best recovery program that I have EVER heard of!! I didn't know that recovery programs could even do that! repair damaged boot sectors. Holy crud, what a pal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is more than I could have asked for. In fact, I know that this truely is, THE best recovery tool that I could have ever gotten. I don't know how to thank you.

nhasian, so when you said that it can "make non-booting disks bootable again", that it is referring to the hd not the CD drive right? Most likely, but just checking. Because I've never heard of a hd be referred to as a disk. I have heard the terminology, "disk drive". So it wouldn't help a CD drive if it had been disabled by a "create a virtual drive program"? Just checking.

I hope I don't sound stupid if I ask, "what is a partition table?'

I knew that they had Ubuntu 11, but I didn't know that Ubuntu 12 was out yet... But I guess I really don't know enough about Linux because I certainly have not heard of Xubuntu -- is this the newest Linux OS? Is it any good as an OS? Can you run it on a 256 MB computer, or does it take up just about 500-1,000 MB like Vista? I must really be out in the far reaches of space on this subject, because I don't know whether or not gnome3 is a program or an OS, though I'm assuming its an OS. But obviously you can see that I am not familiar with this program. The vast majority of my knowledge only extends into the Windows range. ...But I am starting to open up my horizons to Linux and to try it out, if only to use it as a computer repair tool -- and then, who knows, maybe I actually might get good anough to actually "use" it: assuming I know what I am doing, and don't flub things up.

Hawkeye22 and nhasian,
So this is what I have done to my computer since I last spoke to you:

My hd was in the ext 3 format. Ext 3 is for newer Linux OS's, and so this may have caused the problem? Anyways, ext 2 is for older Linux OS's like Puppy, and so I thought this might help, and eliminate the error message that I was getting. So I formatted it to the ext 2 format. Then I did a fresh install of Puppy with a clean wipe. And now I booted it...

Okay, so here's what happened. EXACTLY THE SAME THING! I don't get it. It simply does not make any sense. It is doing the same thing. And it has the EXACT same error message!! Can you believe that?

The OS won't fully load up, but tries.
Now every time that I boot, this is the error message that I get: [] = Words here are in red.
"Searching for files in computer disk drives... [] Lupu-501.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console... []
/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
# _"
m
l
!