Cooling Phenom II CPU...

GReaper01

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I could use a bit of advice on this one.

I am seeking a better way to cool down a AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (Quad-Core) CPU. I've tried quite a couple of tricks, IE: replacing the thermal paste, undervolting and so forth. And while I'm somewhat happy about it's idle/normal temp (35-40 degrees C, depending on the time of year and room temp), I am a bit concerned about what happens when I try to crank the CPU anywhere near full (roughly 80-100 percent considering I have done some video processing/rendering when it's this high). When I try to do so, the temp (at least according to CoreTemp) gets into the mid-to-high 50's, which seems to me to be quite a bit high considering the CPU :fou:.

The CPU fan itself I believe is a Titan aluminum heatsink/cooler if that helps. (Can't remember the exact model name/number ATM considering it's been a while since I put this in! :sweat: ) The fan portion is pointed directly at the rear cooling fan, blowing out that way, if anyone wishes to know the rough orientation of the CPU's cooling fan.

Any suggestions on how to knock it down further, or what sort of replacement cooling system on-CPU would be of use (preferably fan-blown or something that doesn't leak)? Any help would be appreciated. :sweat:

Solution
Well, as far as the 20C goes, I'll elaborate. 1 - 3/4 grain of rice sized bloop of AS5 in the center of the die. 1 - Stock phenom II X2 cooler that came in the box. 1 - 19.5C room. That's it! It's at 21C right now, hasn't moved in 5 hours according to three different apps. I'd look at reseating that HSF. Something isn't right, as that chip is running hotter than my E6600 @ 2.9GHz, which is a 65nm chip. That's idling at 32C right now (aftermarket cooler, however). I'd also look at your fannage. In my Phenom build, I removed my front HDD cage and used an adapter to put my disk in one of the 5.25" bays, because the intake fans were literally 1/4" away from the cage. Such a silly idea to put the cage there. It has one of those damned XBlade...

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
The Sunbeam is good but not the best. When I was checking out cooling options on a overclocking web site I came accost some tests that showed some better options then the Sunbeam. If you don't mind a taller model you can go with the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (keep in mind you have to add a fan, I don't think it comes stock with one) or Cooler Master V8. For a surprisingly good but compact cooler the Cooler Master GeminII S will fit the bill. Despite being much shorter then the Sunbeam it was never beaten by it.

Click here to see what tests I'm talking about.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
The V8 is a decent cooler, but it's massive and a pain to install. I have it installed on my X2 BE and I'm getting temps around 20 degrees Celsius.

The Prolimatech Megahelems is the best air cooler I've ever owned. It's pretty costly, but well worth it. It only comes with an Intel installation kit. The AMD one costs extra.
It also comes with no fans. $70 + fans + AMD kit will set up back over $100.

DJRWolf

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009

The V8 is on sale at Newegg right now for less then half that price with everything included and free shipping.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Are you running at stock speeds? If you are, something doesn't seem quite right. I have a Phenom II X2 at stock clocks, and with the stock cooler, it's right around 20C idle, and with dual primes it never breaks 30C. I imagine the x4 runs a little warmer than the x2, but I couldn't see it running another 20C hotter. What type of case and case fans do you have?

GReaper01

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

Pretty much am running at stock speeds, undervolted as far as I can go and still be able to run Vista. This is the case I'm using at present: SILVERSTONE Kublai Series KL02-BW, hold-over from the previous MB that I had. Unfortunately, replacing the case isn't much of a option at the moment. :( Nor is moving it out of the corner I got it in (due to lack of room). I keep at least a foot between the rear of the case and the wall, any more and it sticks out into walking space. :sweat:

And the fan I'm using (at least for the rear): Rexus NMB-MAT (Panaflo) 120mm -- 2100 RPM version. The front fan (which is still the stock one) I've not found a good replacement for since it's a 25mm max in the slot it's in, unlike the rear, not to mention the fact that it blows straight into my hard drive bay! Needless to say, a bit of fan removal was involved to get this MB in there. :eek:

If you are wondering, the current CPU fan is pointing towards the rear fan, which in turn is pointing outwards. If I can get improvement in getting the case temp down some more, I'd welcome help in that as well. ;)

I'm curious though: how did ye manage to get 20C with a stock cooler? :heink:

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Well, as far as the 20C goes, I'll elaborate. 1 - 3/4 grain of rice sized bloop of AS5 in the center of the die. 1 - Stock phenom II X2 cooler that came in the box. 1 - 19.5C room. That's it! It's at 21C right now, hasn't moved in 5 hours according to three different apps. I'd look at reseating that HSF. Something isn't right, as that chip is running hotter than my E6600 @ 2.9GHz, which is a 65nm chip. That's idling at 32C right now (aftermarket cooler, however). I'd also look at your fannage. In my Phenom build, I removed my front HDD cage and used an adapter to put my disk in one of the 5.25" bays, because the intake fans were literally 1/4" away from the cage. Such a silly idea to put the cage there. It has one of those damned XBlade cases, and 1x120mm Thermaltake fan for exhaust, and 2 offbrand 80mm fans for intake. I wouldn't spend a dollar on an aftermarket cooler until you're sure that thing is seated correctly.

Solution

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
He would, if it was seated properly. I still think you'd be best to check and recheck that HSF before you go throwing cash at it. Maybe my chip is an exception, but his chip is idling nearly 20C warmer than mine.

GReaper01

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

To Jack_attack:

Wish I could say I could take the drive cage out, but I got 2 of my 3 hard drives in there. *sigh* Probably will have to try to move one of 'em up into the last empty 5.25 bay, see if I can't get a better circulation on that end.

I have indeed made sure the HSF was seated right. Made sure of that twice just to make sure. Managed to knock the temps down a couple degrees C, but doesn't make me too happy about it. :cry: Might my room temp be a bit high? It hovers around 74-80F (about 23.5-27C). Average normal for me at something like this would be about 6-10 C above the room.

Anyone happen to know a couple good 120mm-sized fans that might help out a bit better? :) (preferably with a width of 25mm, considering the front fan)

=====

To everyone else: has anyone actually managed to get the Cooler Master v8 in a similar case as mine and succeed? Might consider that one should my next attempt(s) fail.