Is this temperature normal for 3770k?

oerg

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Hi, I am fairly new to overclocking, so before I started to overclock my new rig, I decided to run prime95 to see where the temperatures are, but the temp readings for idle are about the low 40s (Celsius) and under the stress test (high 60s - low 70s).

Is this normal for a 3770k processor? I have a CoolerMaster 212 EVO air cooler installed. I am thinking that my difficulty in applying the thermal paste and installing the cooler might be a cause for the high temps. I have also read about some heat issues with the ivy bridge which is why I am asking if this is normal for a 3770k.

Solution
With the poor thermal properties of the IB processor in mind, your temps are very good if not excellent. I would not be concerned with those temps. The problem with IB processors is their design which put poor thermal paste in place of fluxless solder, and so they run 20 degeees hotter than SB.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
With the poor thermal properties of the IB processor in mind, your temps are very good if not excellent. I would not be concerned with those temps. The problem with IB processors is their design which put poor thermal paste in place of fluxless solder, and so they run 20 degeees hotter than SB.

Solution

oerg

Honorable
May 15, 2012
20 degrees, WOW! So should I even still attempt to overclock it without improving the cooling system? I am thinking of adding another fan to the EVO cooler on the other side though, a side question: Where can I plug in the power for this fan?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

thats too hot. that would be too hot for SB and this is IB. you can run it that hot but it will def not last as long.