ashkon52

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
Hi currently I have a computer with

4870x2 card
Xifi sound card
intel core 2 duo 3.0 Ghz E8400
4Gb of DDR ram
and motherboard to boot (forget what it is)
Corsair 620TX

I see this ebayer is selling hand picked chips
i7 core 920 running at 4.4Ghz
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CLASSIFIED-Extreme-Intel-Quad-Core-i7-920-4-420-MHz_W0QQitemZ130366850076QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCPUs?hash=item1e5a78441c

does this sound ok

I gather I will need a new motherboard
can I buy the P55 motherboard (LGA 1156) and have my 4870x2 card run on it
I assume I will need DDR3 ram also.

Do i need anything more for the upgrade
Is it do-able
is it worth it.

I dont want overclock anything else.
What motherboard is value for money for this.

thank you

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

hi
first of all, people do overclock these core i7 processors to 4ghz. so keeping that in mind 4.4ghz will be achievable if you have a good cooling system. but the only drawback is that the life of the processor will reduce quite a lot. but i still dont think that it will die like in a year. so i think it willl be good. but first chk that how much extra you would have to pay. because if u buy a normal core i7 920 and and good aftermarket cooler, u can do this as well.
Secondly, only x58 chipset will work with this processor, not p55. and yes you need a ddr3 ram as well. just chk that u buy a ddr3 ram for core i7 because core i7 can trouble if you have a ddr3 ram which uses more than 1.5v.

I personally think that if u only game and do nothing else with your system, then your current system is alright because your wont need more processing power for now. This core i7 , socket 1366, route is quite expensive and you can make it worth only if u do quite an extensive work apart from gaming as well. this is because in most games dual cores work quite well. and in a game if u get 60fps then you wont feel any difference if this 60fps increases to 70 or even 100 fps. Hope i helped.

ulysses35

Distinguished
I would skip "ebay" as you never know for sure how the components have bee treated or abused before you buy them.

Plus you are looking at an auction for the CPU - which may or may not rwach 4.4ghz depending on your choice of motherboard

ashkon52

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
thanks for the response.

I didnt realize I need an x58 chipset motherboard. These look damn expensive!

My problem is that with my current hardware I get FPS at around 40 sometimes in games like call of duty 4.
I figure it must be the CPU bottling up the speed.
My games are so twitchy... I dont understand.

im starting to think this 4870x2 graphics card was a bad purchase too. ITs not well supported like it was meant to be.
Call of duty 6 doesnt even recognise the X2 setup.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
Bro dont feel bad. if i were u then i would get a top of the line cpu and gpu cooler and overclock them to a much higher point. u will get a very high result for a little cost as compare to upgrading to a new gpu and a cpu. hope i helped