Is the BIOS in use after booting the OS?

I have a question on BIOS in general, perhaps a stupid one: After the operating system is loaded, is the BIOS itself "running" in any way then?

Or is the bios and the bios settings just implemented during the early PC boot process and then not used until next boot time?
11 answers Last reply
More about bios booting
  1. Hi.

The BIOS always is running since this recognize the CPU and the other components that u have installed in the mobo.

P.D. It's not a stupid question, u only want know that.
  2. The BIOS update fix compatibility and stability problems with the OS and components and add support for new CPUs.
  3. Thank you for your reply.

saint19 said:

The BIOS always is running since this recognize the CPU and the other components that u have installed in the mobo.

Would that mean that the actual code in/from the BIOS is still running when the ordinary operating system is fully loaded?

What I wonder is, if for example an BIOS update could improve the performance in a system? Or if the BIOS "just" toggles a certaint number of settings, which the OS then has to follow?
  4. Is it recommended to always update to the newest BIOS version for your motherboard?
  5. ricno said:
    Is it recommended to always update to the newest BIOS version for your motherboard?

Generally if you are not having any issues with the current BIOS then no, as if something goes wrong during the update you run the risk of bricking your mobo.
  6. On most bios flash programs, you can backup your old bios before flashing. If your board has a bios recovery program, learn how to use it first and download it to your usb drive before flashing. I've had 4 bad flashes in about 19 years of building. It happens to everyone sooner or later.
  7. The BIOS is the interface between the computers operating system and the hardware, so it is constantly being called by the operating system. Updating the BIOS is only recommended if you have problems with your computer that are fixed by a BIOS upgrade as there is a risk of permanently damaging your motherboard if it goes wrong.
  8. ricno said:
    Is it recommended to always update to the newest BIOS version for your motherboard?

The thing is very simple:

1- If u don't have any problem and u don't plan update the CPU, Why update the BIOS?
    2- The BIOS update is used when u upgrade the CPU and also fix some problems with components compatibility. If u want update the BIOS always is better do a BIOS back up just in the case that u need recover the old BIOS version. Gigabyte has something called "Dual BIOS" that give u the update BIOS option always keeping a copy of the old version in other place.
  9. saint19 said:

1- If u don't have any problem and u don't plan update the CPU, Why update the BIOS?

I am buying a new motherboard (ASUS P7P55D-E LX) which will arrive shortly and I am wondering if I should begin with updating it to the latest BIOS version to make sure it is in the best shape?

Anonymous said:
    The BIOS is the interface between the computers operating system and the hardware, so it is constantly being called by the operating system.

Is that really a fact with modern operating systems? I know this was true back with for example MSDOS, but do you know if is correct today?
  10. Quote:
    Is that really a fact with modern operating systems? I know this was true back with for example MSDOS, but do you know if is correct today?

Yes it is still true today, there is a lot of different hardware on a motherboard connected in many different ways, only the manufacturer knows the details of the hardware and so it is up to the BIOS to give a standard interface to the operating system. If this were not true then motherboards built after the operating system was released would not work.
  11. Quote:
    I am buying a new motherboard (ASUS P7P55D-E LX) which will arrive shortly and I am wondering if I should begin with updating it to the latest BIOS version to make sure it is in the best shape?

Like the mobo is new usually this comes with the last or one of the last BIOS version available, so, I think that u can go with the mobo and install the CPU without do the BIOS update.

Quote:

Yeah. Can u see a process in the task manager called "explorer.exe" this process keeps the task bar and the desktop updated for u and when u stop this u only get the desktop without documents or shortcuts. Is very similar to the BIOS if this isn't loaded u lost the HD and DVD drivers that u have installed in the rig.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets BIOS Boot Motherboards