Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card for big screen and blu-ray

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 5, 2009 12:31:29 PM

I am about to build my own desktop and connect it to my 46" LED TV. I want to put a blu-ray drive in it to watch blu-ray movies and then rip them and store them on a hard drive. What graphics card do I need?
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 5, 2009 1:15:18 PM

Do u want some gaming too on your desktop?
December 5, 2009 3:14:04 PM

wa1 said:
Do u want some gaming too on your desktop?

No, I don't really play video games.
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 5, 2009 4:12:38 PM

Maybe a HD4670 is just enough, it's cheap, not needed much power..
Let's hear what others opinions.... Anyone?
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 5, 2009 5:34:59 PM

Why would you recommend a $300+ HD5850 to someone who doesn't game? That's almost criminally bad advice. Also tons of other cards besides the HD5000 series have HDMI outputs FYI.
An HD4650 should be great for your purposes;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
a c 189 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 2:33:17 AM

^+1
:) 
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 2:44:23 AM

It's actually worth waiting for the HD5670/5650 if you want the most features, not only do you have better connection options for video and audio, it's also a more well rounded solution for a new build.

The only problem is that it likely won't be here until the new year, but unless you need something right away it would be by far the best option.

But if you need something now then the HD4670 or better a passive HD4650 would be sufficient for basic blue ray, and I'd recommend this HIS one for the fanless design and the better placement of the heat pipes versus the powercolor;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also if you're just plugging it into an LED TV then you won't benefit from the added audio or video features of the newer HD56xx series, but if you game a bit, then it's worth it to either wait for an HD56xx series or to get the HD4770.
December 6, 2009 4:30:16 AM

One added bonus to choosing the hd 5000 series is the 8ch audio (dolby trueHD) over hdmi. HDMI to a decent receiver to pull out the audio and out the video from the receiver to the LCD TV.
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 5:05:58 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
But if you need something now then the HD4670 or better a passive HD4650 would be sufficient for basic blue ray, and I'd recommend this HIS one for the fanless design and the better placement of the heat pipes versus the powercolor;
It's also about 2.5 times as expensive. That's a lot to pay to go fanless.
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 6:25:36 AM

jyjjy said:
It's also about 2.5 times as expensive. That's a lot to pay to go fanless.

2.5 times more expensive than what? The POS powercraper with the 64bit memory that you have to send away for rebate as well? That's a pretty crummy card to buy for someone who wants all that Blu-Ray has to offer, and anyone expecting any of the features that make the HD46xx series worthwhile.

For someone willing to pay for an LEDlit TV, I think they won't care about the tiny premium (which you make out as huge by comparing to a POS) for the best tool for the job.

If you're cost concious, then the other passive Powercolor would still be a better option and worth the premium even for the penny pinchers;

But the HIS is simply a better design for an HTPC, and if you want a quiet PC then fanless is worthwhile compared to the average tiny whiny GPU fan on low end cards.
a c 376 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 6:53:43 AM

I didn't notice that card was 64-bit but other cards are still half the price.
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 7:13:58 AM

jyjjy said:
I didn't notice that card was 64-bit but other cards are still half the price.

You also didn't understand the rest of the statement either obviously. [:thegreatgrapeape:5]

As for the others being half the price, so be it, I still don't prefer them especially when they're poor quality.

You seem fixated on the price like this guy is living on food stamps. I got your point the first time, and agreed with the statement about the HD58xx series, but unlike you I considered more than just price, thus actually noticed things like the 64 bit memory which goes unnoticed by people who simply click on the "sort by lowest price" button. :pfff: 
December 6, 2009 12:23:00 PM

Thanks for all the great information! I really appreciate it!
!