Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Memory problems with Asus Motherboard

Last response: in Memory
June 16, 2010 12:26:58 AM

Ok guys os here is my problem. I just bought an Asus motherboard with some Ocz black edition ram for the Amd be cpus. Anyways the memory that I bought is not listed as compatible in my motherboard manual. However the board has an option called Memok which is where you press a button on the board and it sets the voltages on the ram to comply with the motherboard standards. I can get it to boot when I use the Memok option. I save the settings in Bios and then turn off my pc. However I have my board outside of the case so I have to unplug the board to turn it off right now. However when i do that and try to reboot the settings are not saved and I have to use the Memok option again. So do the Bios go to default after i unplug the system for awhile?? I just want to know ho to save these setting permenantly. Thanks all

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 234 V Motherboard
June 16, 2010 1:50:23 AM

If you are unplugging the power supply from the motherboard for a lengthy period of time, you are basically clearing the CMOS, which resets your BIOS to default. Once you get it into a case and shutdown properly, you BIOS won't reset to default.
June 16, 2010 4:38:23 AM

Best answer selected by bigj1985.
Related resources
June 16, 2010 4:45:18 AM

Ok thats all I needed to kknow. See I am not actually unplugging the psu from the board however I am turning my power supply off. I just didnt know if there was a diference between shutting off the psu or actually disconnecting the supply from the board itself. I would assume both do the same thing but I am no expert. can you clarify that shutting off the psu also resetts the cmos. Thank you so much for your help.
a b } Memory
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 234 V Motherboard
June 16, 2010 8:56:38 AM

Yes... It does the same thing if sitting that way for a long period of time. My recommendation is next time you shut down, keep the PSU on and see what happens after a couple of hours of sitting.
June 17, 2010 8:50:00 AM

hmph this sucks the memok option works to boot the system but even after saving the changes in bios it sometimes will boot and most of the time I need to use the memok option to boot again which makes no sense to me. I guess the memory I am trying to use will just not work for this setup and of course I probably bought the only ddr3 dimms that are not listed in my boards manual. lol. Screw u Asus
!