Mobo power connectors

sendai

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I'm not sure if I need to use some or all of the power connectors on the motherboard.

The mobo has a 24 pin connector and an 8 pin connector. (It's an AM3 mobo.)

The power supply has a 20 pin connector, a white 4 pin connector, and 2 black 4 pin connectors. Do I plug in all of those connectors or only some?

What power supply? Does the white 4 pin connector seem like its associated with the 20 pin connector? It should be fairly obvious, if so then its a 20+4 plug and you would plug those two into the 24 pin connector, it will only fit one way. The 2 black 4 pin connectors are likely a 4+4 which fit into the 8 pin connector, again they only fit one way.

tecmo34

Administrator
You plug in the 20+4 (24-pin) connector to the MOBO and the 4+4 (8-pin) connector to the MOBO.

Please review my Step-by-Step sticky if you run into more questions... It has a lot of answers.

Edit: Hunter315 beat me to the punch... Again :)

sendai

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Yes, the 20 and 4 go together, and the two black 4s also. Everything fits in the mobo connectors. I just wasn't sure if I should plug them all in because the mobo manual seems to imply I shouldn't (but it wasn't very clear).

Thanks for the help.

If the motherboard can accept a 24 pin and an 8 pin connector plugging them all in wont hurt anything, it just wont make use of the connections that it doesnt need to, however not plugging in one of the connections that it needs will cause it to perform very strangely.