New HDD, activity light on constantly?

pirates712

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I replaced the hard drive in my laptop (HP HDX 16), going from a WD scorpio blue to the scorpio black. I reinstalled windows, which took about 5 hours. The hard drive activity light was on constantly and every step took forever. Now that windows is installed it is taking forever to boot, and again the hdd activity light is on constantly. Any ideas? I tried running linux on it and it works perfectly, what's up with windows?

pirates712

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
The weird thing the hard drive isn't even being utilized. It'll spike for a second when I'm downloading stuff, but other than that no actual activity even though the light is on.

pirates712

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
The light is constantly on, the hdd is not busy, but the window load time is NOT normal, still very slow. I just installed the driver for the card reader (read somewhere that might be the culprit) and windows is currently installing 90 updates, so I'll see how it is in the morning.

pirates712

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
After two days of trying to get windows to work, I gave up and went back to linux mint. Installed in 10 minutes flat, and everything works perfectly except the fingerprint scanner.