Growmore

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Anyone have experience as to which webshops has the generally lower prices as well as good customer service?

Would be great if the store also had a physical "pick up" adress(preferebly in NY), as i'll be visiting from abroad.

Growmore

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Thanks. I'll check those stores out.
Gonna have a NY january shopping spree. Only thing i'll buy back in expensive old Norway will be the "tower" or whatever it's called..

These are the main components i'll buy for my setup(in case you have any suggestions/better ideas or something):

Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI Classified

CPU: i7 975 Extreme

RAM: Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-1600(or higher if there's any point in that) 6/12Gb(maybe discount if i buy 2 sets?)

Graphics: ATI HD 5970

HDD: 1x 10000 rpm HDD(main) and at least 1x 2Tb 7200 rpm HDD(i.e. Western Digital Green)

Not decided on Power Supply, Tower and Blu-Ray thingy yet but welcome all recommendations.

Agree on the i7 975. Waste of money.

You also don't need to get DDR3 1600. 1333 gives the same performance for less. Look for CAS Latency 7 sets.

Agree on the SSD. Switch the WD data drives for Samsung Spinpoint F3. They're faster and cheaper.

PSU: You can't go wrong with Corsair. Probably need at least 750W.

Case: HAF 932. It's big and keeps everything cool.

Growmore

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Thanks. Great help.
I prefer buying quality, but wasting money is pointless.

I've found these components recommended in a pretty decent norwegian database, so that's why i originally chose them. And my preferences had everything to do with a powerful system. Having that said, i guess they might be somewhat eccentric.

Appreciate your help guys. This may not be so expensive after all.

HAF932 seems very good, but i were looking at a mid tower. Were thinking of buying Antec Nine Hundred from a norwegian internet store(would save almost $50 buying it in US, but think it's too big to take back home).
Do you think a Full tower, like HAF932, would be a better choice?

Growmore

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Gonna go for the HAF, but in norway.

Good point. Rather 1Tb 7,2k rpm than 2Tb 5,4k rpm.

Maybe even more than 750W PSU.. To "grow with"

As to the HDD prices for SSD are still pretty stiff.
Think a 15k rpm SAS/SCSI would be a good alternative? Could get a 300Gb for half the price of a 256Gb SSD i think..

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
You dont need the biggest SSD, that's intended to just be a boot drive. For that purpose it just needs to be one of the faster ones. IIRC the intel ones and corsair ones are well liked.

The good SSD's are probably double what a mechanical drive could do. (I've never really looked at them myself so that is a guesstimate)

TRENDING THREADS