Transferring data from 2.5 sata to 3.5 sata boot fail

Skyboy88

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hi. My Dell Xps m1530 laptop died a few months ago and I am trying to get the data off its hard drive onto my new pc. So I learned from research that i could simply connect my laptop 2.5" Sata drive into my system as my current pc drive is also sata (3.5"). So I disconnected my pc drive and put the sata connectors into my laptop 2.5" drive and tried to boot it up but I keep getting blue screened at the starting windows phase then it tells me to either start windows normally or run repair. I have ran the repair twice with no luck at all.

So I am wondering, how I could get this drive to work again or get the data off it? To my knowledge the drive is fine, it was my motherboard which failed on the m1530, but It may indeed have been the drive I guess.

If anyone has a solution or any advice this would be great as I have allot of information and data which I REALLY would like to get back!! Thanks guys :hello:

Skyboy88

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011

O right thanks for that! Would have tried that only I don't have any extra cable to connect it from what I can see around my case. I guess I should buy a another sata cable and maybe a 2.5" drive slot so I could just permanently have the extra drive there.

This would be doable right? Forgive me I am a novice lol.

CA50

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
@Skyboy88, my suggestion get an extra SATA cable and connect your 2.5" HDD along with your 3.5" HDD.

Now boot your OS from the 3.5" one and your 2.5" partitions will be displayed there.

Skyboy88

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks guys. So I had a brainwave and disconnected my dvd drive and connected the sata to my laptop drive and transferred everything over, worked a charm. I have also bought another sata cable and a 2.5" HDD bracket.

The help was much appreciated!