Sign in with
Your question
Closed

CPU upgrade for an MSI MS-7301 Motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
February 14, 2010 6:21:42 PM

Hi, a little help needed.

I dont want to build a PC, i just want to squeeze a last year or 2 out of what i have.

I realise im just squezing the last bit of life out of my PC, but i'd just invested in a GTS250 graphics card to find out my CPU is bottlenecking it.

I'd say i was a casual gamer, so im not looking to run everything at full whack , currently i've only come across 2 games that my CPU cant hack which are Star wars force unleashed special edition & prototype.

I know my MB is no longer suported so i have the must current bios im going to get, version 3.16

Its a MSI CUBA MS-7301, its an OEM motherboard for a Packard Bell Imedia 2470, so there is no support for it on the MSI website.

http://support.packardbell.org/uk/item/index.php?i=spec...

Would i be safe in assuming that if i match the socket (LGA775),
533 / 800 / 1066 MHz FSB , and achitecure then a processor would most likely be compatable?

I was looking at Intel E6600 & E6700 , any comments whether these would likely be compatable, or even if there are any suggestions for a faster chip?, I realise im going to be restricted to the bottom end on the Core 2 duo range.

Cheers
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2010 12:44:11 AM

Hmmm, I'd suggest the Q6600 (best quad-core CPU for the socket IMO), but it's out of stock, and your mobo won't support it. Even if you get a Core 2 Duo LGA 775 CPU, it might not necessarily work with your mobo; the BIOS might not be compatible. I suggest you check with Packard Bell themselves, and ask what's the best CPU available for your unit.

Off the bat, I'd recommend the E8400: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 18, 2010 4:39:03 PM

No i think the only C2D it can support are the Conroe chips.

From the P/B website it says.

The motherboard built into your computer is the Packard Bell Cuba. Its main features are:

* Support for the Intel Celeron, Conroe and Pentium 4 processors in Socket LGA775.
* Supports a maximum memory size of 2 GB.
* Intel Pentium Hyper Threading technology with FMB Mainstream 2005 and 2006 support
* Intel Pentium D Dual Core technology support

So im currently looking at the E6600 or E6700.
Related resources
November 12, 2010 9:31:01 AM

dropdead_fred said:
No i think the only C2D it can support are the Conroe chips.

From the P/B website it says.

The motherboard built into your computer is the Packard Bell Cuba. Its main features are:

* Support for the Intel Celeron, Conroe and Pentium 4 processors in Socket LGA775.
* Supports a maximum memory size of 2 GB.
* Intel Pentium Hyper Threading technology with FMB Mainstream 2005 and 2006 support
* Intel Pentium D Dual Core technology support

So im currently looking at the E6600 or E6700.

Hi - I have a PB Imedia MC2770 with the same mobo as yours - did you upgrade your CPU & if so, which one did you go for and did the upgrade provide good results?

a b à CPUs
November 12, 2010 10:05:17 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!