GTA doesn't run on new graphics card

G

Hi
I purchased an 8400gs for a pc that is used primarily for web browsing. The card is perfect for me but for some reason I cant run gta san andreas anymore, it worked on my old intel integrated video but now, when I click on it, windows 7 theme changes to basic and the game does not run
I tried reinstalling, running it in XP compatibility mode and "as administrator" no luck.
Specs:

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit
CPU P4 2.8GHz HT
2.5gb DDR2
160gb sata HDD
500W PSU
8400gs GPU

I am not planning to upgrade this system, and I know for a fact that 8400gs, while a super low end card is still more then powerful enough to run san andreas.

Any ideas??? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
If it worked on the integrated graphics and it's working no more on the new Nvidia... then the new fish is the culprit. I will go ahead and assume it's the drivers that are causing trouble for the game.

I say your system is capable of running it.
It might be the OS... try different compatibilities such as Vista SP2 and others... it might work.

G

Thanks for your reply,
Tried different compatibility modes but same issue.
Just to make sure I disabled 8400gs and switched to integrated, the game ran no problem but my windows experience rating dropped from 5.0 (3d business and gaming graphics performance) to 1.0 and Desktop aero got disabled.

G

I agree, 8400gs isn't the greatest but this pc is not meant for gaming, its an old dell. I do not want to spend more money on this pc but it works great as it is. Its a browsing pc. Either way I'm sure 8400gs can handle san andreas just fine, my ancient ati radeon 9250 could run it on max resolution... The only games I play on this pc:
NFS Most wanted/Carbon
GTA Vice city/gta III (trying to run San andreas)
Doom 3

It runs all of them maxed out with no problems

I cant get this card because this pc has 2 PCI slots and 1 PCIe X1 (no x16) my 8400gs is pcie x1

Hi,

Lots of possible software culprits. First load the most recent version of directX then run DXDIAG (loads with directX). If all the DX apis work then look for patches for the game. Play with the games. graphic settings (the game is *not* doing the same thing with the 8400GS as with the integrated graphics -- settings are different). IF the DX apis fail a test then look for the culprit. For example, years ago an ATI card I was using failed because .net didn't install correctly and the ATI control panel used it.

The X1 PCIe slot 8400GS will be a rare card. Make sure you try (1) the driver that came with the card (rarely recommended, but this will be a weird card with x1 slot) (2) the driver from the card manufacturers web site, could have fixes (3) the reference nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com.
One of these may work for you.

Good luck. I have an 8400GS in a HTPC. Works great, uses x16 pcie slot.

G

Thanks for the help everyone, I reinstalled the drivers and the game runs without any problems, I am running on max resolution and max details, about 30fps+.

brtchida

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

can you please explain exactly what you did??? cause i just bought the same exact graphics card and my san andreas doesn't work either!!! :( HELP!!!!!!

G

I uninstalled the drivers completely, restarted my pc and let windows (windows 7 ultimate 32 bit RC 7100) install the drivers for me and the game ran without any problems, then I went to Nvidia site and downloaded the real drivers and installed them. After that I used Ntune to overclock the card. I was very surprised but it actually improved my FPS. The only problem is that overcklock settings reset after each restart for some reason >_>
Good Luck.

brtchida

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

Would it be any different if im on Windows Vista? cause i don't have windows 7

G

no, I don't think it would make any difference

brtchida

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

wow this blows...... still didn't work.... i click on it and it just loads for half a second then does nothing........ >:/

G

did you try to reinstall the game? maybe it will work