enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi all.

I'm looking for a SSD with the performance of a Vertex 3 and reliability of the Intel 320 AND cheaper per gig.
I don't think that exists yet, but can I find this in the next generation?
Better to wait for Sandforce to get better or Intel to get faster?
ROUGHLY how long will I need to wait? A month, year, 5 years?

thanks!
if this is a dumb post, please give me some keywords to do my own searching. I didn't find much yet - not even tea leaf counting..

Samsung has had great success with their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. The 470 has not experienced any major issues. It is not one of the fastest ssd's but it can hold it's own. Samsung supplies OEM versions of the 470 to Sony, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Apple, and a few lesser known brands.

Last month Samsung introduced their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's. It is hoped the 830 will be as successful as the 470.

If you would like to compare basic information or read technical reviews, then here is a link to the ssd database:

SSD Database

beenthere

Distinguished
Some SandForce issues may have been fixed but no one knows if all have been fixed on any of the SSDs from the various mfgs. including but not limited to Intel, OCZ, Corsair, Samsung, Crucial, etc. They have all had issues of one sort or another and there is no evidence that all the issues have been resolved yet.

If you need data security and are not willing to deal with BSOD, lost data, re-installation of the O/S, RMA'ing SSDs, etc. then I'd wait 6 months and see how things shake out. If the above hassles don't bother you then you could flip a coin and pick whatever SSD makes you happy and hope for the best.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for the posts!
For the reliability, I was referring to the Intel 320 here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-nand-reliability,3021-4.html
I NEVER want to see a BSOD or RMA in a SSD this decade - but I don't mind doing a re-installation of the OS.
I didn't think of checking Samsung with SATA 6Gb/s. I'll read more on that.
For now, I'll follow beenthere's advice and wait 6 months - hoping SATA 6Gb/s will be common, redundant flash, power loss protection, and most major/minor bugs will be ironed out.. - AND CHEAPER TO :)

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
There will never be zero risk. We have waited 6 months to a year for sandforce, intel 320, etc. and they have fixed their issues. Any lingering BSOD issues with sandforce third gen are likely due to specific instances where compatibility was not researched and firmware not upgraded.

However, 99% of the time we can not see the difference between the 'second' gen intel x25 or the sandforce 1200 controllers. Check the latest Tom's guide. The recommendations are for tried and true drives. Prices have dropped significantly and are often in the 1$/gb range.

Intel 520 should be out soon and we can learn of their speed and give them the 6 month test along with samsung 830. I'm excited about the samsung drives and would like to try one out.

Good luck with your journey.