DDR3-1066 running at 800 MHz

Petkevicius

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Hello guys.

Yes, I searched through 10 pages of this forum 'Memory' section and did not find a solution for my problem.

I recently bought a new notebook and noticed that 4GB of DDR3-1066 RAM is not running as it should. I noticed it simply after I ran a Windows System-Rate assesement, which rated my RAM at 5.6. I was dissapointed and I know it's not rated as it should be, because I have a desktop computer also which runs 4GB of DDR2-800 and this is rated at 7.1. Both of my computers uses dual-channel for memory, both of them are running on Windows 7 64-Bit OS. So, I checked the CPU-Z. It says that max bandwitch of both of my chips (2x2GB) on notebook is 533 MHz and I think it's OK. What is not OK, that at Memory section of CPU-Z it tells me that DRAM frequency is 399. So, the rest 134 (or 133) is not working. I entered BIOS, but unfortunately, I did not find any memory parameter to change. The timings of chip (both chips are identical) are 6-6-6-15 and I really do not understand about timings that much so I could make conclusion by myself. I contacted Acer (this is the manufacturer of my laptop) support and informed them about my situation, but I did not received a work from them for a weak already.

What I thought about is that FSB thing. On my notebook, the CPU is Intel Pentium T4400 2.2GHz 800 MHz FSB. Is that really possible that FSB should be at least 1066 to realize full performance of DDR3-1066 RAM? Or I am just talking nonsences?

Thanks in advance,
Your responses will be greatly appreciated.

Petkevicius

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

Yes, saint19, You're #1 problem solver here, always responsing first! :) Thank You.

This is the computer I bought: http://www.1a.lt/kompiuterine_technika/nesiojami_kompiuteriai/acer_aspire_5738zg_ru/3815215/

One more thing, I tried to find out something about that FSB. And I noticed this at CPU-Z. FSB:DRAM is 1:2.

Like I see the CPU that u have (T4400) is limited to FSB 800MHz and the RAM that u have installed is DDR3 1066MHz, so, the problem is the FSB of the CPU.

But don't worry about that little difference because u won't see a big difference between 800MHz and 1066MHz.

Petkevicius

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

Well, that's what I guessed about at the very end of my first post. If You say I wouldn't see a big difference, then still, why RAM is rated so poor? I mean comparing to DDR2-800, it looks really poor, though it's younger generation. What could you say about those latency numbers I gave? Do they look normal for you?

Petkevicius

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
So can I do something about it? Are there any software tools which could help me? Because as I said before, there is no memory parameter to change at BIOS. I asked Acer support when do they release new BIOS version which would let to configure memory, but I didn't received a word.