Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A quick look says Z68 mobos do not have IDE controllers built in. So your options would be either: (a) add an IDE controller card to a PCI slot; or, (b) mount an IDE HDD in an external enclosure and connect via USB or eSATA; or, (c) use an adapter to connect an IDE HDD to a SATA port on the mobo.

Delirious788

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011

Since you didnt mention which option you are going with, here is something to think about...
I have done options b and c, and I would go with b...b is a little more expensive than c, but having the adapter slows boot up a lot even if it is not the boot up drive and also then with b, you have an external drive that you could use wherever theres a USB and available power outlet.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Power from USB port? Generally, no.

Virtually all desktop-type HDD's, and surely most older ones, need more power than is available from a USB2 port. In almost all cases, enclosures and complete external drives that do draw all their power from a USB2 port are the smaller units that are normally found in laptops. Even some of those require two USB ports used simultaneously.

IF you get an enclosure that uses an eSATA or an IEEE1394 (Firewire 400) connection, neither of these has any power available for an external device, so it certainly will come with its own power supply. In fact, many external enclosures come with two (sometimes three) interface options, but you get to use only one at a time. Mine has eSATA and USB2, for example.

The new USB3 ports can provide more power than USB2, but doing that would limit your possible use to only those machines that have this new port. I'd say you are better to choose an enclosure that has its own power supply and does not use any from a USB port. Then you can use it on anything.