4th Core/Thread missing

thrunthru

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Yeh,

Is there a way to know for sure, whether it be in BIOS or under Windows, to know if my CPU has fried? I want to know so I can be 100% sure that the 4th Core is unrecoverable! Or is there a way to bring it back to life?!

Fill me up with information.

thrunthru

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

3ct.png

and what do you mean by resetting? I know that I've touched nothing there! Do you mean by taking out that round battery on the motherboard for a while before to place it back there?

thrunthru

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

hey, under the Processors tab in Device Manager, it shows me all my 4 cores and they are working properly! I've tried updating those Processors and even my bios, but they are both already up to date! Then, I've reset the Bios and Msconfig/CPUZ still sees 3 cores/threads.

thrunthru

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

Dude, please don't take it too personal because... I'd like to give you a hug of success!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

No problem :)

I've encountered that several times - that menu lets you limit the number of processors, but once you've set a limit, it won't let you select more than the number that you limited it to. The solution is to just disable the limit. The same is true if you limit the RAM using that menu.

(For reference for anyone else having this problem, that menu is accessible by typing "msconfig.exe" in the start search, then going to "advanced options" under the "boot" tab).

Oh, and by the way, is there any reason you're running your CPU underclocked?

thrunthru

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009

By definition of "underclock", do you mean not overclocked?

Maybe speed step? :whistle: Im sure if the OP used prime 95 while watching cpu-z the cpu will run at stock speed.

By definition of "underclock", do you mean not overclocked?

Well underclock means running a cpu at slower speed. Like for example, a cpu stock speed is 3Ghz but you lower it to 2.6Ghz.

Im sure the 1.3Ghz that we see on cpu-z is a result from speed step.

Speed step is a feature on intel cpu. What it does is when your computer is idle (not doing anything), it will lower the cpu speed to reduce power consumption and heat. Now when you start asking for more cpu power, the cpu will increase it speed until it reach it's max speed.

in your case, looks like your cpu underclocks its self to 1.3 ghz when idle and will run a max speed of 2.66Ghz.

I know about speedstep. Check out the FSB though. It should be 1333 on that CPU, not 890 (which isn't even a standard speed).