Sign in with
Your question

A beginners OC' adventures.

Last response: in Overclocking
May 20, 2012 7:46:04 PM

Hello OC enthusiasts.

I'm running on the third year on my rig at this moment, and it's been serving me quite well. But looking on the internet for a new possible CPU, i stumbled upon the possibility to OC my good ol' CPU. I've been sorting through guides and tutorials, and after trying venturing into my BIOS, i ended up having to pry out the BIOS battery when the computer wouldn't start.
After resetting, i shook of the scare, and went here for guidance.

My rig:
MB: Gigabyte - P35-DS3-DS3R/DS3/S3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHZ
RAM: 4 x DDR2 2GB (400 MHz (400 x 2 = 800)
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II/OC
PS: Corsair 550W
(Stock fans)

I know the CPU can handle 3,6 or 3,2 GHz after looking at other examples, but i trusting the guides online, after i "almost" bricked my PC, has been hard. So therefor, i ask you - What can i safely do in a OC sitauation with this build, and how to start of?

(For reference, this was the guide i used before:) 
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/intel_core...

More about : beginners adventures

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 9:32:29 PM

Ok I can give you the short uncomplicated and basic (read kind of incomplete) version:
->Raise multiplier to the maximum
->Raise FSB slowly
->Test the overclock (use a software like Prime 95 or Intel Burn Test)
->Watch out for temperatures (lots of software here just take one you like. I use Core Temp)
->When you reach a speed where the overclock is unstable raise the voltage a small(very small) bit and try again
->Do NOT get past 70Cº or 80Cº and do NOT get past 1.4v. The CPU may survive any of these hard conditions but it's not very recommended
a c 88 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 10:21:24 PM

keep the cpu as cool as possible, like said above, 70c max, but if your pushing higher voltages, you want to keep it well under 70. OC your cpu by 100mhz at a time by raising FSB. Turn all cool'n'quiet and any other cpu power saving features off. Get to a point where it becomes unstable then back the OC off a bit. Then if your not happy with that OC, you can look into changing vcore voltages and such.
You should get a reasonable OC without having to touch voltage though.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 10:23:46 PM

mafljoe said:
after i "almost" bricked my PC, has been hard.l

Your computer can't be "bricked." You could put too much voltage through the processor and fry it, but so long as you don't do anything so stupid as to burn your components up, you're fine.

Also, in the future, just use the CMOS reset jumper instead of removing the battery. It's a lot easier. Also, most decent motherboards will simply revert you to failsafe settings after a certain number of failed boots in a row (usually 3).

What you want to do is determine the maximum safe voltage for your chip (a google search away) and start off by setting your voltage to something close to that number. Later you'll reduce your voltage, but for now you just want to see how high you can go. Usually you won't need to actually be at maximum voltage to get a good overclock.

Now you want to start cranking up the speed. You'll need to adjust your memory speed and CPU frequency simultaneously, as they run on the same bus, and increasing the CPU speed will increase the memory speed. Memory is usually a lot less tolerant to overclocking. Try to keep your memory at about the same speed throughout, and just steadily increase your CPU speed.

Go in 100 MHz increments (NOT 100 MHz FSB increases, 100 MHz overall CPU frequency), boot into Windows and run a quick stress test with Prime95. If your computer crashes or Prime95 reports errors, you need to either adjust your speed or increase the voltage.

Eventually you'll find the maximum level the card can operate at. Now you want to see how high your memory will go. Start increasing its speed slowly and repeat the stress tests. You can also increase the voltage to your memory to assist, don't remember max safe DDR2 voltage, though.

Finally, once you've got your CPU and memory overclocked and stable, you want to start dialing back the voltage on both. The goal is to have the speed the highest with the voltage the lowest. You can usually reduce the voltage by quite a bit by dialing back the overclock slightly, which will slow you down a small amount while simultaneously reducing your temperatures drastically, and prolonging the life of your chip.

Once you get to a place you're happy with temperatures and performance, run a Prime95 stress test for several hours. You should get no errors. A single error means your computer will occasionally bluescreen at random, which you obviously don't want.
a b à CPUs
May 20, 2012 10:33:21 PM

I predict you will not enjoy your computer one bit more no matter what you do.
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 11:01:13 PM

Wolfdales overclock madly, you should be able to hit 4ghz with ease!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2012 11:07:45 PM

along with the other sound advice given i would highly recommend a decent aftermarket cooler.
May 21, 2012 8:34:24 AM

Thank you all, very much for the quick respons.

I'll follow both #akxpckwb #willard #iam2thecrowe guidance, trying to mess the least with the volts.

Thank you for the CMOS jumpers, that will come in handy. (I'll try booting 3-4 times before opening up the cabinet.)

#amuffin
Yes i've heard so as well. But as #looniam also suggests, will i be even be able to crank it to 4 Ghz with a aftermarket cooler? (I don't know how hot this chip gets, but i've heard some of the never Intel Q series gets really hot when raising the speed a small amount.)

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 8:40:50 AM

Well I had a Celeron E3400 for a while which is also a Wolfdale but the stock speed is 2.6Ghz. I managed to overclocked it to 3.9Ghz but since I only had the stock cooler the temperatures were not safe. Anyway I did run it for 2-3 months with a speed of 3.0Ghz on stock cooler and stock voltages.

So yes with a good cooler 4Ghz should be easy to get
May 21, 2012 9:33:19 AM

akxpckwb said:
Anyway I did run it for 2-3 months with a speed of 3.0Ghz on stock cooler and stock voltages.

So yes with a good cooler 4Ghz should be easy to get

Sounds promising - I'll try bumping it up there later today and do some hours stress test.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 2:03:20 PM

mafljoe said:
Yes i've heard so as well. But as #looniam also suggests, will i be even be able to crank it to 4 Ghz with a aftermarket cooler?

The Core 2 Duos are amazing overclockers, some of the best there have ever been. I'd be absolutely dumbfounded if your chip couldn't make it to 3.5 GHz. 4 is on the upper end of what they'll do, and ever chip is different, so I can't say you'll be able to do it, but you can definitely get a lot out of it.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 4:44:52 PM

as much as what mileage you may get out of your cpu; the motherboard chipset is an often overlook component when overclocking a cpu.
that P35 you have *should* be able to hit a front side bus speed of 445 giving you 4Ghz (445*9=4.005)
now going that high will most likely take some effort with what RAM (voltage and timings) you have and the voltage to the CHIPSET (P35).

it is very doable, however with any CPU and RAM; not one setting for cpu, ram and chipset will work for every set up.
!