tom_and_jerry

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
Hi everyone,

I built a computer in May of 2008 and it's sadly starting to die. When I press the power button on the computer, it starts to boot up and then shuts off after about 20 seconds into the boot after the computer has been sitting for a while. If I subsequently press the power button, the computer starts up for 2 seconds and shuts off.

This problem slowly started to happen. At first, it would happen and I could eventually get back on the system next day and it would work all day and randomly it would stop working again. After it started back on on another day, I loaded up speedfan and watched the temps and nothing jumped out at me other than the graphics card running at 67 to 70 on idle.

It's been about 5 days and it won't boot back up so I think it's dead.

Any recommendations on the order of things I should start checking and replacing to figure this issue out? Note: I can see that all the fans are running as soon as the power is hit...so the fans work.

CPU: Dual core E6600
Graphics: Nvida 8800 GTS
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX
Motherboard: Gigabyte SLI 680 or 650 (can't remember)

kaou

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I had a similar problem on one of my older machines, it turned out the power supply I had was set to 100V instead of the 120V we get in the U.S. It too slowly died, in a similar fashion as described above, so I would suggest checking your power supply.