WD Caviar black or green which should I get

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeNi3DxFATE

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Ok, So I know that the green is really good for bulk storage and things like that and the black is great for os and programs etc

I'm building a gaming computer and I'm torn on which to get, since money is a factor.
Right now a 1.5tb wd caviar black is around 220 dollars, while a 2tb wd caviar green is on sale for 80 at best buy. I know since its a gaming computer that I should go for black but the one thing is that I never shut my computer off. Maybe an occasional restart from time to time but for the most part its on 24/7. This is the only reason, plus the price leaning me torwards the caviar green. I'd like to know what you guys think? Should I still put up the money for the caviar black or go ahead and go with the caviar black. Thanks in advance!

MikeG72

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Someone else will have to comment on whether the Black would be faster overall for gaming, but in general it seems to me that if you can spend $220, your best bet would be the (slow) Green 2TB as a data drive and an SSD as a boot/OS/most used programs drive. You can get a great 64 GB SSD for less than $140.

PS: I don't know if there's a speed difference but one Newegg reviewer wrote that these retail boxes are WD20EARS drives not the WD20EADS benchmarked in that linked review.

DeNi3DxFATE

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Ok guys thanks for the advice. I've decided to go with the 1tb caviar black instead. Its fast, has plenty of room and only 130 dollars. Closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.