isnorwhenipoo

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hey guys, looking to build a new rig, this would be my 2nd build and my first personal build. Some advice and input would really be appreciated!

Specs:

CPU: Phenom II x2 550 BE (planning to unlock to x4 b50)
CPU cooling: Cooler Master GeminII 120mm
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 785G Micro ATX
Ram: A-Data 4gb (2x2) DDR3 1600
HD: WD Caviar Black 640gb
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
Optical: Sony 24x dvd/cd rewritable
PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-750 750w semi-modular (I know I don't need this much, but I got a nice deal that effectively dropped this down to $55)
Case: HEC 6T Series 6T10BB (Used this for my mom's build, very cheap & simple)
Monitor: Acer H213H 21.5"

Total Price: $860 (incl shipping and some extra 92mm pwm case fans)

Thanks in advance! :)

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Since your going to have a discrete graphics card you don't really need the onboard video of the 785G chipset. You might be able to buy a motherboard without integrated video and save a few dollars to get a bigger case like the cooler master centurion or cm-690.

isnorwhenipoo

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
jsrudd,

I though about that, but i figured since I'm buying a card which has fairly new and unstable drivers (or so i've heard), having the onboard card would be a nice backup in case i have to RMA with newegg or if I have any problems in the future. Then, I'll have the system fully setup and running before a new one comes in.

As for the case, i'm trying to save a couple of bucks there and keep it as small and simple possible without compromising the hardware.

batuchka,

I really like the CM-341. One of my concerns was cooling b/c of the x4 b50 and the 5770 blasting hot air everywhere. This is def going on my list.

Thanks guys!

Unlocking two stable cores on the 550BE is far from a done deal. You could get lucky, but if you NEED those cores, buy them from the outset. You could get a 720BE for only $17 more to get a certain third core, and still possibly unlock another.
If you want a micro-ATX case, check out the cheap Rosewills like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147111
They have a rear 120mm fan, and you can add another one in front.
Every cheap Coolermaster case I ever bought had [minor] quality issues. Even my RC690 had some untapped screw holes. I've switched to Rosewill for cheap cases, and had no problems with any of them. The metal in any cheap case will be flimsy, but that has never caused me a problem.