Need to know if this is corrupt bios

latiinyoungn

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Hello everyone!

I have an old school Abit IS7 motherboard that’s been with me for many fun years. I built this computer when I was 15 so I am just not willing to let go. Computer was working fine until I decided to move it to another room. after that, when I pressed the power button you would hear the hard drive spin up as well as DVD drive but nothing would appear on screen. The computer beeps for 5 seconds and then takes a short break and beeps for 5 more seconds nonstop until I turn it off. I read that this has something to do with memory. I tried MULTIPLE memory sticks and this doesn’t change anything. The motherboard looks brand new nothing fishy going on although I don’t know what I am looking for.

I tried removing the motherboard and reinstalling it but that didn’t work. I tried to recover the bios with a floppy drive but the motherboard does not even turn on the floppy drive (no lights or seeking).

How would I be able to tell if the motherboard is dead or if I could possibly recover the bios somehow?

Thanks for any time you can give me :(

Remove the board from case and place it on a phonebook or other non conductive surface. Leave the cpu/heatsink, memory, and video connected, but not the hardrive or optical drive. Install the power supply leads, and touch the power switch pins with a screwdriver to power on. You should hear fans, and if your video is connected, hopefully a post screen. Good luck.

latiinyoungn

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
ok I've done what you said and im still getting the same results.it turns on normal, cpu fan spins up, then i hear long beeps and no video. I reset the cmos and moved the memory to different slots. right now the motherboard is on the antistatic bag that came with the motherboard.
can a dead cmos battery cause this? what other things could produce these long beeps? any other suggestions? im willing to try anything you tell me. i created a video following the steps you provided but cannot upload it to this site. thanks for your help

Your bios should be fine, unless you tried flashing it and were unsuccessful. Your symptoms could be caused by any number of things. The bare bones test outside of the case will rule out any metal to metal contact inside the case causing a short, etc. Otherwise, I would start looking for a different board since you've done about all the testing you can do. Computer geeks or ebay are your best sources.