lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Hi all
I was planning to buy a computer and wanted some help in choosing the right psu. following is the system:
Intel core i7 920
Asus P6T or Asrock x58 supercomputer
4gb ddr3 single stick for now
ati radeon 5970 x2 (crossfire)
Lg blueray writer

My main question is that will COOLER MASTER 850 WATTS SILENT PRO MODULAR (RS-850-AMBA-J3) run this system smoothly. If not then which psu you prefer, kindly the psu u recommend dont be too expensive. Thanks

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
thanks for your reply
I was actually interested in corsair tx 950 or tx 850 but i have read many negative comments of users when using it in windows 7 and otherwise as well. that is the reason now i dont know what to buy. I dont want that hassle of returning faulty psu and stuff. Can you recommend something else then and also tell me your experience as well.

Here are the official power requirements for ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 video card.

ATI Radeon™ HD5970 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

650 Watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin and one 150 watt, 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors

850 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt 6-pin, and two 150 watt, 8-pin, PCI Express connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

I am familiar with the Corsair TX950 and Asus P6T Deluxe x58 motherboard compatibility issue. Asus made a design change in it's new motherboards. Corsair was unaware a design change was needed for the TX950. The issue was very limited in nature since it only applied to one specific power supply model and only a few new Asus x58 boards. The issue did not apply to motherboards from other manufacturers. Customers had the option of exchanging either the power supply or the motherboard. Those who got other motherboards reported the were no compatibility problems. In the meantime the problem has been corrected. Corsair has already shipped modified TX950's.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
Thanks for a reply
Thats cool. Can u kindly tell me as to when did this change and modified psu was done. this is because if this change has been done, by asus and corsair, recently then there is no point of getting tx950 right now as there is a high chance you will get a psu from the old stock. what do u say ? and also do u prefer to buy the psu from ebay, brand new? knowing the fault and if the fault comes then will the warranty route be easy? hope to hear from you soon. thanks

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
performance won't take a noticable hit, but you should really get triple channel RAM, not dual channel - the kits are only a couple of bucks more.

PSU-wise I'd go Corsair HX850.