Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard errors while installing XFX 5870

Last response: in Motherboards
June 16, 2010 6:51:56 PM

The problem started when I started installing a XFX 5870 to upgrade from 2 9400 GT's. However, I think it may be something to do with bios because of the errors Im getting.

With th 9400s I have no problems, btu when I put in the 5870 I get no output on the display. The debug readout always stops at "2A." The Listing in the manula for that is

"Initializes different device through DIM
See DIM Code Checkpoints section of document for more information"

I dont really know what to do apart from know what this tells me, and as I can't get a display I can't get to the BIOS.

I have tried clearing the CMOS but to no avail and the only major change recently was me installing opensuse on a partition.

If you think I should try graphics cards I'll head on over there but I wanted to see if I could get more info/help with that debug message.

Heres my current system specs (nothing is OC I havent gotten a good enough heat management system yet)
Intel i7 860
Foxconn Inferno Katana GTI
Corsair XMS3 8GB (4x2GB)
Asus Xonar D2X sound card
WD 1TB HDD
2x SLI Nvidia 9400GTS
to be replaced by XFX 5870

I ahve never actually had a DOA(been quite lucky) so I don't want to give up just yet.

Thanks for any help in advance.
June 19, 2010 6:35:31 AM

Listen, this must be a ram problem,try each stick individually and it will work eventually.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2010 8:35:45 AM

I'm assuming you have put the 9400's back in after the 5870 didn't POST. Therefore zoranzoran has no grounds for his advice.

Is there a way you can test this is someone elses computer? What PSU do you have?
m
l
June 28, 2010 11:59:20 PM

Yes, I did put the 9400s back in after. I wasn't able to test it in another comp either and I have an Athena Power 950watt.

Also an update, sorry for neglecting the thread something occurred that made computer issues bottom tier in my life, I RMAed it because XFX though it was probably dead based on all the things I had done besides test in another computer which I currently can't. Not too long ago they came back and said the card was OK. They are sending me a new one though for some reason. I've done some research into the 2A AMIBIOS debug code and this is all I can find in their documentation, its very brief.

Under post code checkpoints

Quote:
Initializes different devices through DIM.
See DIM Code Checkpoints section of document for more information.

under DIM code checkpoints it says

Quote:
Initialize different buses and perform the following functions: Reset, Detect, and Disable (function 0); Static Device Initialization (function 1); Boot Output Device Initialization (function 2). Function 0 disables all device nodes, PCI devices, and PnP ISA cards. It also assigns PCI bus numbers. Function 1 initializes all static devices that include manual configured onboard peripherals, memory and I/O decode windows in PCI-PCI bridges, and noncompliant PCI devices. Static resources are also reserved. Function 2 searches for and initializes any PnP, PCI, or AGP video devices.

This is not something I have experience with.

I assume the new card should arrive soon. Does anyone have thoughts of things to try when it gets here as I anticipate the same problem.
m
l
!