Memory for PQ5 Deluxe

TomASUS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Hello Friends,

I have built my first computer and ran into memory issues with my PQ5 Deluxe MB. If anyone has knowledge of ram that works well with the ASUS PQ5 Deluxe board please post it. CPU is Q9550. I would be so happy to get this fixed and behind me.

Best,
Tom

TomASUS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
I think its a bad Dimm slot is the problem, see reply to "badge". Since I have the new RAM I will consult Crucial to make sure its not memory related. My fear is it is the MB dimm slot.

TomASUS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
After purchasing Crucial (2x4GB) RAM and having no luck with second ram stick I found that the MB needed a BIOS flash update. Seems to work great now. I only need to try and find a use for the 4x2GB Corsair Dominators that I originally purchased. Thanks for the reply..

TomASUS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Here is an update on my problems with this new computer build.

What I did to try to solve blue screen issue:

BIOS flash to latest good version
Purchase 8GB Ram from Crucial that are spec'd for this MB (replaced Corsair)
Upgrade OS to Windows 7 Pro 64 from Vista 64
Updated all drivers

It seemed to fix the problem....until yesterday....when i was transferring files the blue screen rained on my parade. Win 7 checked for errors and diagnostics say it was due to hardware but could not pinpoint what hardware. It suggested RAM or MB or HD or CPU.

This is my first and LAST computer build. My feeling is that ASUS was/is the problem. Probably defect in the MB.

Just want to thank this board for trying to help.

Before you give up, try running memtest86+, boot to a CD or USB stick image, available here as a "pre-built ISO." This utility will run about 8 different test settings of the RAM - it can take a while to complete the entire pass. If you get errors, it will show you. If you get errors, stop memtes86+, and reset the BIOS to its deafult settings, and boot into memtest86+ again. If the RAM fails memtest, run it again, and if it still fails, try testing one stick at a time. This should help you identify one (or more) bad sticks of RAM, which you can then RMA to the vendor.

If your machine passes memtest86+, the BSODs are likely caused by another problem.

BIOS adjustments usually are required with 4 modules, particularly when using overclocked RAM. Mine won't run 4 modules of G.Skill PI Black 800MHz at 1.8V and 4-4-4-12 timings reliably (no BSODs, but applications sometimes crash), but it's very stable at 1.9V or 2.0V.

GhislainG: You are correct. We don't know TomASUS' level of experience, but we know he's on his first build, and having RAM probs. Maybe if he re-sets BIOS and runs memtest, we can determine if each stick of RAM is ok or not - it will tell us whether or not the RAM is ok or not. If each stick is ok, we can get him to adjust the RAM voltage in increments until he gets it stable, OR we determine if the board is bad....

TomASUS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Ok Treefrog, Thanks for the info. I did run the memtest86 and found the following:

Installing 1 stick of 4GB Crucial RAM in Slot1, after a couple hours no errors.
Then I installed the other 4GB Crucial stick in Slot1 and it too passed with no errors after 2+ hours.

So then I installed both sticks in Slot1 and Slot2 (my ASUS MB is slot A1 and B1, both color yellow) and there were error after error. The screen was red.

One of my suspicions early on was the MB had a faulty Dimm Slot, in this case slot2 (B1 on ASUS MB). Does it sound like this may be the problem?

TomASUS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
I hope it is just a voltage setting and that the MB is not defective. The RAM timings are 5-5-5-15 and I think the voltage is currently 1.8. Can changing the voltage damage anything?

Yes I am not to knowledgeable but have learned some in the build. Thanks again for your help.

OK, you tested two sticks of 4GB RAM. The memtest86+ results failed when to populated the 2nd DIMM, but each stick passed in the first DIMM. I think you are correct in your diagnosis - the board's 2nd DIMM slot is bad. Return it for replacement.

RAM settings: Use the settings on the RAM stickers to set your latencies and voltage in the BIOS, changing the voltage is OK just don't exceed the voltage on the stickers.

If there is more you think we can help with, please provide your complete motherboard model, ASUS has at least 1/2 dozen boards named P5QX-XX. Also provide the RAM's complete model number. Many of us actually look these up on the mfr's websites to download the manuals and specs.