Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does running higher FSB and lower multiplier reduce CPU temps?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 21, 2012 8:57:56 AM

I was wondering if running a higher FSB (base clock) so I could run a smaller multiplier in the CPU in order to get the same CPU frequency, would allow me to run the CPU with less voltage and keep the temperatures lower?

For instance would running a base clock of 240 mhz with a multiplier of x20 giving me 4.8 ghz allow me to run less voltage on the CPU than a 200 base clock using a multiplier of x24, which would give me the same 4.8 ghz?

In other words, which spec. most determines the voltage that I must use to keep the PC stable, the clock multiplier or the total frequency output of the CPU?

Best solution

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 21, 2012 9:04:28 AM

Both will require a similar voltage to reach the clock you want, but the raised ref clock will be trickier to stabilise, hence the popularity of multi-only clocking
Moto
May 31, 2012 1:47:02 AM

Best answer selected by Ladamyre.
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 31, 2012 1:55:09 AM

Thank you for B.a. man, glad to help
Moto
May 31, 2012 1:56:26 AM

I flagged yours, motopsychojdn as best answer as it is true, at least to the best research I can come up with.

Which leaves me with just one point to leave for anybody else who gets here googling for an answer.

Knowing that it's the total frequency the processor is running at that will most determine the voltage needed to maintain stability, that leaves only two reasons to play with the FSB, AKA base clock anymore. One: to get that last 15mhz that the CPU can handle or, and this is probably the best one...

...to get the most in overclocking the RAM.

I reserve the right to advise and extend my remarks. (That just means I might want to change my mind and say, "What I meant to say was....)
!