Problem with New system [HELP]

yongxp

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
Hey, I would like to thank everyone who help me with their much needed advice and wisdom during their busy schedule. Been a great help but now I'm in need of their help again.

So far I took a mixture of computer builds for my $800-$900 from any other builds and I ended up with this:

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC ... - Retail

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail

ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH - Retail

SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223C - OEM

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

The problem is after I put all the parts together and the wiring. When I push the start button the computer wont turn on at all.

None of the fans work, no lights are turned on but a small light on the corner of the computer that indicated the motherboard has a stable steam of power. No sound also.

I'm not sure if its the Power supply or maybe the case start up wires are messed up.

Any solutions?

p55ibexpeak

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
What's the mobo?

Are these connected?

4-pin cpu fan
4/8-pin cpu power (by the cpu)
24-pin mobo power (by the ram)
2 x 6-pin gpu power (on the gpu)

Double check the front panel pin connections. It's detailed in the manual.

If all check out, and no power on, clear cmos. Refer to the manual for how.

If that still fails, disconnect everything and remove the gpu, take the mobo with cpu & ram out of the case onto the mobo box, insert gpu, hook up all mentioned power connections, remove all front panel connectors, switch psu to on, short the POWER/PWR jumpers with the tip of a ball pen.

If that still fails, you can try clearing cmos for 1 hour to overnight. As a last resort, rma mobo back to store for replacement.

dpaul8

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
There are some excellent resources on this website that will help you troubleshoot problems. The first is the checklist by Shortstuff:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-problems

If you gone through the checklist and that does not solve your problem, then you need to follow JSC's breadboarding troubleshooting guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html

Last of all, if that does not work then repost here using the format specified by Proximon:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-progess-troubleshooting#t1934282

I am amazed at the knowledge of the people who frequent these forums, and their willingness to help, but you have to respect their time by giving them useful and complete information in a format that is easy to understand.

Best of luck in trying to resolve your problem. I hope we can help.

yongxp

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
If it ever does get to the point where I am going to have to replace it.

How does Newegg handle it's return policy and I will I replace it? Will I have to buy a new one?

crazy359

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Hm... Check that your 20+4 pin is FULLY in to and make sure ALL the cables are FULLY in, you know till they click. Check on the back of ur PSU that it is on the 115 and is ON.

yongxp

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
I checked all of those things, crazy.

I already did dpaul's "boot" check up list but most of it is useless because there's no power going to the computer.

Just got all the parts from newegg four days ago. I'm probably going to get a replacement for the case, motherboard, and PSU.

dpaul8

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The chance that all three components (case, motherboard, and PSU) are bad is very slim. You very well could have a short between your motherboard and case, which would immediately shutdown the power supply. There is a good chance that all three of these components are fine. This is why it is so important to breadboard your system using JSC's guidelines:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html

When you take the components out of the case, you eliminate the possibility of shorts between the motherboard and case. By adding components, one at a time, you are able to verify which components are good and which component is bad.

You can send all of these components back to Newegg at your expense, and Newegg will send you new components after they recieve yours in good condition. This could take a week or more. Please try to diagnose the problem by breadboarding, and report back your findings using the format specified by Proximon:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-progess-troubleshooting#t1934282
I am sure people here will try to help you. Most of us have been in your shoes at some point, and know how stressful and frustrating it can be. But you have to give us something that we can work with. Hang in there -- you can do this!