Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please Help Me in Upgrading PSU and Graphics Card

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2009 12:40:53 PM

I own a Dell Dimension 8250.....and specs are listed here:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8250/s...

I am trying to upgrade my PSU and Graphics Card only.
Please keep in mind that I don't want to spend too much on these and please don't advise me to save money for a new system as I already know and weighed the cost/benefit.
....and the PSU must be a quiet, not noisy...
The graphics card must be good enough to play most of the new games at mid or low resolution setting...like Crysis..

Please let me know which 2 combination will offer me the best cost effective buy. Thanks!!!
a b B Homebuilt system
December 4, 2009 2:21:27 PM

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but it's not worth upgrading your computer. The AGP slot is only 4X which is super duper slow. If it was 8X then maybe. Upgrading this computer will already set you back over $100. You probably only have like 1 gig of ram too. You'll want to upgrade that too but that computer is so limited. For $300, you can pick yourself up one of those Dell or HP cheapies. They come with a Dual Core processor and a PCI-E slot so you can put a decent graphics card in it.
m
l
December 4, 2009 3:24:25 PM

I have 2gb of RAM...
As I have stated before I already know about how I can buy a better system with a little more investment..I am not sure why I have to say this again.
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2009 3:25:42 PM

...and AGP 8x will work on all 4x.... :ouch: 
m
l
December 4, 2009 3:28:14 PM

..my budget is about 150 ~ 200 bucks... I don't have 300+..
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2009 7:42:34 AM

jena_blondie said:
...and AGP 8x will work on all 4x.... :ouch: 

Ok, if you get a 4650, you probably don't even need a new power supply if you're really trying to do this on the cheap. That card uses a miniscule amount of power. You could technically get a 4670, but at 4x and with a Pentium 4, I don't think it'll do you any good over the 4650.

One thing to be VERY careful about: Make absolutely sure the AGP slot on your machine is capable of supplying the right voltage to the card. AGP comes in two different voltages, 1.5V and (I believe) 0.8V or 0.7V. A lot of later-generation (AGP 8x) slots were backwards compatible, and hence flexible enough to handle a card using either one. But your machine's slot is an old, old version of AGP. It may be limited to strictly one voltage or the other -- and if it turns out the card is not compatible with it, you're sunk. I really don't remember which is which off the top of my head, but the old 4x port raises a red flag. This is something that is worth calling or e-mailing the card manufacturer about BEFORE you buy; give them the motherboard model and specs and ask if the card will work.

I actually agree with you that upgrading this system could be worth it, as long as you're aware of the limitations your system is going to still have, and it sounds like you are. Installing a 4650 saved my old Pentium 4 AGP system from the scrap heap, and while it's not like I'm going to play Crysis on it (I've got a quad core machine for that), it handles modern games that aren't rapid-fire graphics intensive but still require higher amounts of card memory and newer technologies like DirectX 10 and Shader 4.0. Don't expect the world from it, though. Just think of it as keeping your machine relevant until you can get a modern one.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2009 1:08:54 PM

Zipzoomflyhigh is right. It sucks, we know. I've been there, everyone has been there. It's just not going to happen. My machine struggles with Crysis (on high), and it's substantially better than the machine you have, or could have by throwing silly addons in it.
m
l
December 5, 2009 10:32:27 PM

You would be better off saving a little bit more cash and buying a new system all together blondie.........
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2009 12:53:13 AM

shadyadi32 said:
You would be better off saving a little bit more cash and buying a new system all together blondie.........

Thats what I suggested from the beginning but she still wants to upgrade.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 8:35:46 AM

masterasia said:
Thats what I suggested from the beginning but she still wants to upgrade.

Well, yeah, she'd be better off. The choice is either spend $300-$400 to get a passable system, or spend $70 to keep the old one hanging on by a thread. Obviously, I'd pick the first if I was making the decision.

I'd definitely join in making fun of the upgrade idea if the idea was to make it into a gaming machine and play Crysis and Left 4 Dead 2. But that's not always the idea. Maybe she just wants to play Tropico 3, or some other game where meeting the minimum specs is good enough. There are plenty of those games around.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 8:44:17 AM

wait a minute .. going back, I actually DO see her referring to Crysis.

So I take back everything I've said. It just isn't going to happen with this machine.

Listen, this computer with a new graphics card will get you current on compatibility, but not processing power. You'll be able to play low-intensity games that require DirectX 10 or Shader 4, but nothing where a decent FPS rate matters. If you do the upgrade, understand that it is not going to work wonders. I chalk up missing the original point of high-speed gaming to the fact that I've been drunk the past two nights.
m
l
December 6, 2009 11:04:05 AM

Jena, you are underestimating just how power hungry a game like Crysis is. I built a quad core system for myself a couple of years ago and the game is so intensive that even on my system, the frame rates were still a little bit slow for my liking.

Upgrading your video card and PSU will be a waste of money if you plan on playing modern video games.

System specs:
Intel Q6700
EVGA 680i SLI
4 GB Corsair DDR2 800
EVGA 8800 GT 512 MB Overclocked
1 TB SATA II HDD
Antec Neo 650 Watt PSU
Antec Sonata II
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 6, 2009 4:21:39 PM

Quote:
It just isn't going to happen with this machine.

Thank you. Maybe in a few years they'll come out with Crysis 2D?

m
l
December 7, 2009 5:27:10 PM

Quote:
You have to say it again because your not listening. You have a 2ghz single core processor, any upgrade would be a waste of money because your processor is too slow to keep up with any decent graphics card. AGP 8x is ooooooold school, 4x AGP is stone age.

Tom's charts show even a measly 4770 is severely bottlenecked by a 2.8ghz DUAL core processor. So do that math blondie.

2ghz? Did you even read the specs? Mine is 3.05ghz... :ouch: 
m
l
December 7, 2009 5:38:10 PM

shadyadi32 said:

Maybe I should have reworded my question.....forget about playing Crysis, that was just something on my wish list.

Given the specs of Dell Dimension 8250, IF YOU HAD $150 TO SPEND ON PSU AND GRAPHICS CARD, WHAT WOULD YOU PURCHASE?

I know many of you want to say save that 150 bucks for a newer system, but if you only have 150 bucks, and you will never see another dollar during your life span, which PSU and Graphics card would you purchase?

I am not trying to be sarcastic here....I just want to know the best PSU and graphics card that are available today for my Dell 8250 without purchasing a new desktop. As I have mentioned before, I clearly understand that a newer system is more cost effective, but that is not the question I am asking here... :non: 
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2009 6:19:16 PM

Ok, here we go. This is the best GPU you can put in your PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And this is the best PSU you can put in your PC.

This is a very foolish thing to do though blondie, as you're literally throwing away good money. Here is an example. You're trying to spend 150 on a system that has one leg. A 4670 is not a bad card. It's AGP, which is bad, but it's a decent card. But, you do not have the CPU to support it. Would it make any sense to go to the gym and work out your left leg so you can run faster? It doesn't. You're not as far away as you think from getting a decent mid-level machine that can handle new games, I just built one for 350 and some change.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2009 8:33:11 PM

^^ That pretty much sums it up.

The 4670 is the best you'll do on that machine. But understand that it only solves half of your problems.

A single-core processor is just not going to hack it for games where you're doing graphically intensive things like running through an environment or fighting. The result will be unplayable. You'll probably be limited to less intense things like simulators and strategy games.

So as long as you understand that, then fine, by all means, go for it. But it sounds like you're after a machine you can employ for general use, and this won't do it. It does not cost that much to get a low-end Core 2 machine these days.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 7, 2009 8:42:06 PM

Well, in reality, all she will be able to do is playback pretty HD video and play Sim games. Strategy games are rather CPU intensive as well. I have a Dell 2350 with a P4@2.0, and it doesn't matter what you do to it, it's not going to do what you want it to. That's a typewriter dear.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2009 9:20:22 PM

Well, it depends on which strategy game, I guess. And on whether you're willing to accept mediocre settings.

I've got an old P4 3.0Ghz that I dropped a 4650 into -- the wife is a gamer as well, so I've ended up trying to install just about every game we own on the old machine too, in case the main quad core box is already in use. It's been a mixed bag. The P4 handles things like Sins of a Solar Empire and even Empire: Total War pretty well (though I'm not 100% happy on the second one). GTA or Crysis? Not so much.

I think the main factor is whether "sticking" for a tenth of a second here and there is going to make a big difference in the gameplay. Strategy games, sometimes you can get away with that, sims you usually can, shooters you can't.

In any case, all that being said, would I recommend any P4 as your main system? Hell no. I'd probably drive myself crazy if that was the case.

m
l
December 8, 2009 11:47:35 AM

jack_attack said:
Ok, here we go. This is the best GPU you can put in your PC.

And this is the best PSU you can put in your PC.

This is a very foolish thing to do though blondie, as you're literally throwing away good money. Here is an example. You're trying to spend 150 on a system that has one leg. A 4670 is not a bad card. It's AGP, which is bad, but it's a decent card. But, you do not have the CPU to support it. Would it make any sense to go to the gym and work out your left leg so you can run faster? It doesn't. You're not as far away as you think from getting a decent mid-level machine that can handle new games, I just built one for 350 and some change.

Thanks jack_attack for answering my questions.
Now I know what my options are...Thanks again!
m
l
!