No dvd cd burner in xp device mgr or explorer

hmd813

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hello, I've searched the site for a fix and have tried several that I've found here, but no luck. Hopefully someone has a solution.

My DVD CD burner on my XP SP3 machine disappeared recently. It's present in the BIOS but not in XP's Device Manager nor Windows Explorer.

I can boot the machine (HP DS530 SFF) with a Linux CD and the DVD CD burner is there and operates flawlessy in Linux. That would be the solution but I also use Lightscribe s/w to inscribe text on the media and Linux doesn't support Lightscribe (as far as I can determine).

In Windows, I've tried the high filter/low filter fix in the XP registry... none of those filters are in my registry. I've done a safe boot and still no sign of an optical drive. I've swapped out the DVD CD burner with a known good one from another XP machine and still the same issue... XP doesn't see the optical drive.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can try next?

hmd813

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

No, it doesn't show up there, either. I suspecting corrupt system files may be the culprit. Which is bad because while this pc has the Windows Authentication Number sticker on the case, I don't have the XP disc. I purchased it from a pc recycler off eBay 2 yrs ago and the only disc that came with it was a Recovery CD that they provide with each pc they sell and it's worthless.

But... good news... Lightscribe does support Linux and I installed it on my Linux partition. So, I'm limping along doing the paperwork part of my project in Windows then burning the Lightscribe media in Linux.

Ain't technology grand?

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I'll just limp along like this. I plan to upgrade soon to a newer pc with Windows 7 so this pc that's giving me trouble will become a full time Linux machine.

Thanks, again.

TRENDING THREADS