Sign in with
Your question

$700 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2009 1:36:24 PM

I've been looking on newegg for a good prebuilt PC but there aren't any that I'd be comfortable with in my price range so I figure I'll build one. I'm a total newbie to building PC's too.

I'll be doing a lot of gaming with some friends, mostly Modern Warfare 2, and a good bit of video and photo editing.

I'm planning on buying within the next 1-2 weeks and I think the only part that I don't need is speakers.

I prefer to only buy from newegg but I could care less about the hardware being ATI or Nvidia, Intel or AMD.

I probably won't overclock because I want to make as little impact on the electric bill as possible and I know I won't use SLI or Crossfire.

As I said, I'd like the electric bill to stay the same/as low as I can get it and I think that's about everything. Thanks for any help.

More about : 700 gaming

December 4, 2009 2:19:02 PM

Do some research (by "some" i mean loads) on building your own PC, learn about the risks and dangers, also what components are compatible with eachother, Otherwise you could be in a real mess when you've ordered incompatible parts or damage your parts when building your PC.

Like you said your a total newbie, I'm not trying to come across as being an a$$hole, just trying to save you $700.

Once you feel comfortable that you know what your doing and know the risks involved You'll be able to make a more educated decision about what components to buy.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 4, 2009 2:19:57 PM

Need speakers, etc?
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2009 2:25:40 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Do some research (by "some" i mean loads) on building your own PC, learn about the risks and dangers, also what components are compatible with eachother, Otherwise you could be in a real mess when you've ordered incompatible parts or damage your parts when building your PC.

Like you said your a total newbie, I'm not trying to come across as being an a$$hole, just trying to save you $700.

Once you feel comfortable that you know what your doing and know the risks involved You'll be able to make a more educated decision about what components to buy.

I've looked into the compatibility thing unintentionally a while back from a guy on youtube whom I would consider a reliable source and I have also read the majority of the Homebuilt PC Buying Guide so I'm quite confident I'll have no issues with compatibility or anything but thanks nonetheless.
EDIT: Here's the link to the guy I was referring to in case you want to know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0rzt-Ymhgc
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 4, 2009 2:46:31 PM

Nope tests have shown its the effective amps on the 12V rails that matter for the most part ^^ Hmm go with a $16x HD 5770 and think you could be $7xx country ^^
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 4, 2009 2:50:08 PM

It all depends on what you need. With a small budget (~$550 for the tower, assuming $100 for the OS and $150 for a monitor) anything that you can cut to make it cheaper must go. A couple of bucks can make a difference, as the majority of the choices are in the lower priced end.

batuchka's build is good, but probably way too expensive if you need a monitor and/or OS. Refer to the sticky "Recommended Builds by Usage" in the General Homebuilt section. The $500 budget computer is basically what you're looking at. First thing you'll have to ditch is the 4890. It's a great piece of hardware, but at $200, way too expensive for the build.

Agree with omgitzfatal. Looking at one guy on youtube isn't cutting it for research. I'm just finishing my first full build, and I've spent nearly a full month looking all over about different components, tips/tricks for building, guides to building, benchmarks and the products themselves. In doing that, I went from a $1300 decent build to spending $900 on an excellent build (mostly due to the Newegg BF sale...). It's not so much about the compatibility, it's about knowing what you can get and how it will all fit together.
m
l
December 4, 2009 2:56:23 PM

MadAdmiral said:

Agree with omgitzfatal. Looking at one guy on youtube isn't cutting it for research. I'm just finishing my first full build, and I've spent nearly a full month looking all over about different components, tips/tricks for building, guides to building, benchmarks and the products themselves. In doing that, I went from a $1300 decent build to spending $900 on an excellent build (mostly due to the Newegg BF sale...). It's not so much about the compatibility, it's about knowing what you can get and how it will all fit together.

Would you mind posting your $900 build? That's the range I'm looking in, would be a nice starting point for me to tweak from.

Thanks!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 4, 2009 3:06:45 PM

@Dissolve: PMed it to you.
m
l
December 4, 2009 3:11:15 PM

How does this look for a build?

Also, I might use my old monitor, at least until I get a job so I can pay for one myself.

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 4, 2009 3:18:10 PM

It's pretty decent. I'm not wild about the nVidia card. There's a GPU by price range article somewhere on this site. I'd find it and buy whatever's in your price range. Also, did you check for combos? Those will save a bunch.

I'd switch the WD HDD for a Samsung Spinpoint F3. It will be the same price, but the Samsung will be faster.
m
l
December 4, 2009 3:20:02 PM

MadAdmiral said:
@Dissolve: PMed it to you.

can i also get that? thnx
m
l
December 4, 2009 3:26:30 PM

MadAdmiral said:
It's pretty decent. I'm not wild about the nVidia card. There's a GPU by price range article somewhere on this site. I'd find it and buy whatever's in your price range. Also, did you check for combos? Those will save a bunch.

I'd switch the WD HDD for a Samsung Spinpoint F3. It will be the same price, but the Samsung will be faster.

Okay, I'll go search for that article. And I quickly glanced at the combos but I'll go back and look in a little bit.
The F3 would be faster even though it only has a 16MB cache compared to the WD 32MB cache?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 4, 2009 3:29:12 PM

It uses a 500 GB platter opposed to a 250 GB one. I know its confusing, but that's something I picked up with researching...and I picked it up really late into it. Like days before I ordered.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 4, 2009 3:33:10 PM

Stuff from Egg = $482 AR

Stuff from Tiger Direct = $170

$652 grand total
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 4, 2009 3:38:56 PM

511_grove said:
The F3 would be faster even though it only has a 16MB cache compared to the WD 32MB cache?

+1 for the Samsung F3 suggestion. The cache size has very little effect on performance. The higher data density is what makes the drive fast.
m
l
December 4, 2009 3:49:27 PM

I'd like to thank everyone who's helped out but I've got to go for about an hour or so. I'll post an updated newegg shopping cart once I get back and look over the combo's and such.
m
l
!