What happened to Radeon 4870s?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Amazon
  • Radeon
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2009 12:19:36 AM

Seems like these cards are getting harder and harder to find.....can't seem to find them on Tigerdirect.....BestBuy's web site always says they're sold out online.....Amazon doesn't have much of a selection.....seems like these cards just fell off the face of the Earth...what's the deal?

More about : happened radeon 4870s

a c 242 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 12:23:50 AM

Two reasons would be my guess:

1. ATO pushing the new stuff

2. The factory where they are made is having yield problems producing the 5xxx and nVidia fermis ... the more production lines they switch to the new stuff, the less is available for the older stuff.
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 12:25:38 AM

ATI is phasing them out in favor of the 5xxx series which should have its stocks pick up soon enough. I have never seen as thorough of a phasing out of one generation onto the next though. Newegg only has 4 4870s, all way more than they should be.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2009 12:27:22 AM

well, my worry becomes now is that I was going to use a 4870 for my HTPC.....I think the 4870 was going to be pushing the size limit in my case as it is, and I know for sure the newer cards are probably even longer and definitely won't fit!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 2:34:23 AM

Yeah, this is odd. At least they finally have some of the 5870s in stock though.
m
l
!