Sign in with
Your question

DVI TO HDMI SOUND

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2009 12:47:19 AM

I have a question
I have a SAPPHIRE 3870 and a DVI TO HDMI converter.
Now if i wonna hook up to mu 40" HD TV will there be sound ?

More about : dvi hdmi sound

December 6, 2009 1:06:56 AM

Yes, there will be sound if you use HDMI and choose "ATI HDMI Output" in the sound playback devices.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 6, 2009 2:05:48 AM

I think you have to have the adapter that came with the graphics card, because it is a nonstandard adaptor that allows audio pass-through. Also you have to enable it on your sound card. Its called like SDPIF or something.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2009 2:50:46 AM

more suggestions plzz and yes i have the original adapter that came with the video card
m
l
December 6, 2009 4:37:49 AM

aylafan and jsrudd told you everything you needed. Use the adapter and select the correct settings and you are fine.
m
l
December 6, 2009 3:35:50 PM

k thx and i also watched a video on youtube called TIGER DIRECT 3870 and he said there is 5.1 sound comin out of that hdmi
m
l
December 6, 2009 3:58:52 PM

You might need an S/PDIF cord running from your video card (newer cards have a small white 2 pin slot on the video card) where you plug in that cord, and plug it into your motherboard in the S/PDIF slot.
m
l
December 9, 2009 5:46:13 AM

You don't need a S/PDIF cord running from your videocard or have a seperate soundcard. The ATI HD 3870 has its own integrated 5.1 channel sound chip integrated into the videocard. They are confusing nVidia with ATI videocards. HDMI will output both video and audio on the ATI HD 3870.

Just use the HDMI adapter that came with the videocard. Hook the HDMI cable from the videocard to the TV. Then choose "ATI HDMI Output" in the sound playback devices in Windows.

I know this because I hooked up my ATI HD 3850 to my 65" Sharp LCD TV.
m
l
December 13, 2009 8:13:29 PM

aylafan said:
You don't need a S/PDIF cord running from your videocard or have a seperate soundcard. The ATI HD 3870 has its own integrated 5.1 channel sound chip integrated into the videocard. They are confusing nVidia with ATI videocards. HDMI will output both video and audio on the ATI HD 3870.

Just use the HDMI adapter that came with the videocard. Hook the HDMI cable from the videocard to the TV. Then choose "ATI HDMI Output" in the sound playback devices in Windows.

I know this because I hooked up my ATI HD 3850 to my 65" Sharp LCD TV.

nice screen lol
m
l
!