Windows 7 won't recognize external hard drive enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00bsauce87

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hello everyone, after searching the threads, I couldn't find an answer that worked for me.

I ordered two Western Digital Caviar Green 500 GB for a computer I recently built. I am using one for the main HD in the computer and the other as an external HD.

The enclosure is from Rosewill. It is the eSATA and usb 2.0 enclosure. So When I have my computer on and try to connect the external, the computer will recognize it as a Mass Device. I would have to go to disk management to see the "USB Mass Device".

The problem is I don't know where to go from here. I mean the computer seeing something is a step in the right direction right?

I also have multiple wires and multiple eSATA ports so faulty wires and ports shouldn't be the problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Also, I'm working from a laptop, so I can respond fast with any of your suggestions.

n00bsauce87

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I thought so too, but nothing.

Just like any mass storage device, you would see something pop up on the taskbar saying installing drivers or something to that effect to let you know that the computer is recognizing the storage device. Nothing.

Could it be a mapping issue?

The HD isn't even formatted btw. It's completely clean, hasn't be touched with anything. Could that also be an issue for the computer to recognize it?

n00bsauce87

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Well, I decided to take a look on it from my netbook (because I didn't even think to even try) and I'm getting the same issue. Since this is the first time trying to install it, the computer when through the "looking for driver for new devices" or something to that sort. It got to the end of the search and said, "device driver was not successfully installed."

So I guess I could be getting to another possible issue. How can I download a driver that the computer can use? And when I do, I should assume that I can access my HD as well correct?

n00bsauce87

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Tried that and there aren't any drivers for the rosewill enclosure. Could it be that the HD itself is faulty? It does make click noises when I turn it on. I don't think it should do that. And when I did have it inside my PC, the motherboard couldn't recognize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.