Toshiba satellite vista usb port driver problems

ThatSchadKid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hello,
Recently after an update to windows my computer (Toshiba Satellite series) blue screened on me saying something about the usb port drivers and I've been trying all day to fix it. Every time I plug something into a usb port it comes up with a message saying they have malfuntioned. I know it is not the drivers for the devices themselves because I restored my laptop back to factory settings and still get the same error message. Any help is welcomed before I take it in and have it fixed.

ThatSchadKid

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Well I read another post on this site with a similar problem and did what it said and took my battery out and let it sit for a few minutes and that fixes it temporarily which according to that thread, points to the motherboard going bad.

airwolfflies

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Say Newcomer,

You never let the community know if your USB ports were functioning correctly on your Toshiba Sattellite before you upgraded to a new Windows OS. What OS did you have before the upgrade? This is important, because whatever OS you had before had all the proper drivers to maintain your system and assure it operated correctly. When you upgraded and I need to know what OS (32 bit or 64 bit and what Windows you had before your new upgrade) it is very likely all the neccessary drivers were wiped out when you did the switchover and even if you did a system restore, the drivers would still be gone since you overwrote all the data in your original OS. My advice would be to reinstall the original CD that came with your Toshiba, then go to their update site where they would have all the proper drivers to update your system and then all the USB ports should work correctly.

Then after you have done this and they STILL do not work, as r_ manic said you most likely have a hardware or electrical problem and you should take your set up in for repair.

airwolfflies. :hello: