Sign in with
Your question

I7 3770 Turbo Boost frequencies + Asus AI Tweak

Last response: in Overclocking
May 21, 2012 7:03:35 PM

Hi, folks! I'm new to the forum.

I built a new computer myself and I'm concerned about several things. First of all, these are my components:

- Asus P8H77-V motherboard
- Intel i7 3770 (not K version)
- Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Rev. 2 Pro CPU heatsink
- 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600 CL9
- Thermaltake M9 case with stock front and rear fans

My concerns are:

1. My intention is NOT to overclock this computer BUT let Turbo Boost tech do its job. I feel it's safe enough if it works as Intel promises. The thing is that when I accessed my mobo's BIOS, AI Tweak section, I encountered it at manual settings and saw that the processor's target frequency is 4GHz aprox. I didn't set this up, so I changed it to Auto to see what happens. Seems it changed to the cpu's default 3.9GHz turbo boost max frequency, buy something tells me it's alive and it's going to do whatever it wants or something. The alternative is to disable the CPU's Turbo Boost, but it might come in handy for some gaming.

Did anyone encounter a similar situation? Is Turbo Boost tech really safe? Is it known to shorten the CPU's lifespan?

2. I've observed CPU temperature peaks of nearly 80ºC, but it's usually 34ºC - 40ºC, even after some Crysis 2.

Do you think maybe these temperature peaks are due to Turbo Boost "automatic overclocking"?

Thank you very much, guys!
May 23, 2012 12:00:45 PM

I would double check the mounting of the heatsink.

a c 330 K Overclocking
May 23, 2012 7:24:56 PM

Quote:
2. I've observed CPU temperature peaks of nearly 80ºC, but it's usually 34ºC - 40ºC, even after some Crysis 2.

The 80C is concerning to me, but the the 34-40C is fairly normal. What are you using to monitor these temps?

If the heatsink wasn't mounted correctly, your idle temps would also be high, not in the mid 30's C. Sounds like IB chips are just hot under load. (which has been something that many people are saying)
!