Help, not sure what to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazy_Mofo

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Hi There.

I'm not ovely computer savy, I'm looking at playing some later games on low/medium settings and want some descent FPS. At the moment I'm just playing World of Warcraft.

I've purchased a PC from online, here is what I'm getting, I may have some flexability to change some bits before they make it:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual Core 3.0ghz
Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM Plus
RAM: 2GB DDR2-800 (Don't know the brand)
HDD: 500 Gig (Don't know the brand)
Video Card: HIS ATI HD4670 ICEQ PCI-E 2.0 1GB 128-bit GDDR3, 750/1700MHz
or I can get a
Amaze ATI HD4670 PCI-E 2.0 1GB 128-bit GDDR3, 750/1746MHz.

Now this machine was going to come with a 9500GT, but I wanted a little more performance, so for a little extra cash I requested a ATI HD4670.

I have a few concerns:

1. I've read the Asus M2N68-AM Plus isn't a great motherboard and not overly compatible with my CPU, it might slow down my CPU and I won't have the ability to overclock it.

Is there a motherboard I can get thats cheap that will be compatible with my system and allow me to overclock it? or is this one going to run at full speed and let me get the full potential out of my CPU at stock settings?

2. I'm a little worried about the compatability with my Motherboard/CPU and using an ATI video card.

Should I go to a 9600GT or something? Would I get more performance from a 9600GT on this system? Or will an ATI card work well with this system? Or is either card an overkill for this system?

3. Is having 1gig in a lower-end card an overkill?

If anyone else has anything to add that might help me that I haven't asked please feel free to write your thoughts =)

Solution
After rebates the HD4670 can be had for about $45-55 lately while the 9800 GT is $80-90. I believe the performance difference is about 20-25%
The HD4670 should be quite good for that resolution.
1. The ASUS website specifically lists that CPU as compatible with that motherboard so I doubt you will have problems.
2. AMD owns ATI and the HD4670 is an ATI card so if you have any questions about compatibility(which you shouldn't) I would think it would be the other way around.
3. 1 gb of memory is pretty much totally useless on any card weaker than a GTS 250 or HD4770 and even on those it's only marginally useful and only at high resolutions.
4. The main difference between the various HD4670s will be the fan/heatsink(not a huge issue on a card that doesn't use much power) and the warranty offered by the manufacture. I would choose mainly based on price myself.

lazy_Mofo

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

So the HD4670 is not a great card? Should I be getting a different card then?

lazy_Mofo

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

sorry i thought is just reply here just incase you didnt read =) what would be a good card that costs a little bit more that would be better for gaming?

The 9600 GT is a bit more powerful but personally I don't think it's worth the price difference. The 9800 GT is better but it's price is too close to an HD4770 or GTS 250 for it to make sense imo.
What resolution do you plan on using?

lazy_Mofo

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

I think ill just stick with the HD4670, im already spending more than i can afford, which isnt much =)

Status
Not open for further replies.