Problems with SLI GTS 250 and ASROCK X58 Extreme

snarF

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Ok, I have a problem with SLI on my ASROCK x58 extreme motherboard, when I attempt to run with SLI enabled, my system freezes up about 10-15 min after booting up. When it locks up, I am unable to do anything, I cannot move the mouse, the sound is not looping, it looks like a screenshot of whatever I was doing. I have tried changing my RAM timings, and know for a fact my hard drive is working properly. (I installed windows on it on a separate computer without a hitch.) However, when if I run in a single card setup, the system runs perfect. It is only when I have SLI running does the computer lock up.

I have also noticed that when I start a game, or anything that raises the GPU's temperature, the lockup shortly follows after the fan speed surpasses 85%. The system still locks up at an idle, but it seems increasing the load on the GPU just shortens the time to a lockup.

My specs:
ASROCK X58 Extreme
2 EVGA GTS 250 512mb
Intel core i7-920
4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator
750gb WD Caviar Green at 7200
Rosewill Xtreme 850w continuous

One more note, when I unboxed the motherboard the northbridge heatsink had a damaged pin to hold it down. I found one off an old northbridge cooler and the two looked identical.

snarF

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

After reading what you posted I noticed that the both 6 pin connectors were 12v2, I swapped and put one 12v1 and one 12v2 on the cards. The system was stable longer, however ultimately it did crash. I am with you in thinking that it is the power supply, only that it is brand new.(yeah, I do realize they can come with malfunctions.) Is there any way to pinpoint that it is the PSU?