Video Card Purchase advice

Hello, I visit this wonderful site once more seeking for advice, i'm looking to buy a new video card around the $150 price, my current system is as follows:

Phenom II x4 Black Edittion 940 @ 3.4Ghz
8GB of RAM Dual Channel Corsair
Windows 7 64-bit Home Edition
HD Sapphire 4870 1GB
600W CoolMaster PSU
Monitor Resolution 1366x768

As you can see my video card is a tad old and it's starting to lag behind on several current games
, I like to also play on small monitors because large ones give me a bad eye strain when I'm sitting on my desk, any advice would be helpful.

I read this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353

But sort of scared me on the reviews some common problems ammong all the 6850's with a black screen issue.
9 answers Last reply
More about video card purchase advice
  1. Which games do you play? Specifically, what resolution and screen size do you use also?
  2. buy the most expensive card you can afford :)
  3. sindawi said:
    buy the most expensive card you can afford :)


    When I looked I laughed; but then I thought about it. It really is true; there are a few items you don't want to be stingy on. The Gpu is definitely one of them.
  4. spend a few more dollars up front and get:
    XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 $179.99 $149.99 after mail-in rebate card
  5. No one on Tom's ever recommends Ebay. I buy and sell used GPU's all the time from Ebay. If you research the GPU manufacturer's warranty info and make sure that it applies to the particular card your'e interested in, why not? Last month I sold my XFX 6950 XXX Edition for $150, and I purchased a open box EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked for $315 with 2.5 years warranty left on the card. It takes a little more work than shopping on Newegg, but you can get a great card for well below new card prices. With all that said, my advise would be to check out Ebay for a 6950, if you can get one at that price ($150 or so) that would be far and away your best option.
  6. Yeah hd 6870 can play most games. its the real deal
  7. UAhmed said:
    Yeah hd 6870 can play most games. its the real deal


    True, but if you can find a 6970, 560 Ti, 570, or even 580 off Newegg or Ebay. Better card; for not much price difference.

    Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-570-012-P3-1572-AR-Superclocked-/390419778410?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item5ae6d50b6a#ht_500wt_1413

    $155.00 for a Gtx 570; still under warranty...
  8. GArrigotti said:
    True, but if you can find a 6970, 560 Ti, 570, or even 580 off Newegg or Ebay. Better card; for not much price difference.

    Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-570-012-P3-1572-AR-Superclocked-/390419778410?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item5ae6d50b6a#ht_500wt_1413

    $155.00 for a Gtx 570; still under warranty...

    ahem . . .Enter US $157.50 or more
    and that doesn't mean it is going to sit there; other people will bid. then add in shipping and the "chance" the card is flonky and the seller refuses to accept a return.

    a few months ago i hunted everyday for a grfx card on ebay and rarely saw ANY deals worth going after; either old junk or a reseller trying to jack up the price of a rare card.

    however it does not hurt to look :)
  9. Anonymous said:
    ahem . . .Enter US $157.50 or more
    and that doesn't mean it is going to sit there; other people will bid. then add in shipping and the "chance" the card is flonky and the seller refuses to accept a return.

    a few months ago i hunted everyday for a grfx card on ebay and rarely saw ANY deals worth going after; either old junk or a reseller trying to jack up the price of a rare card.

    however it does not hurt to look :)


    That is very true, you do run that risk. Always a chance. But even if the seller refuses you still have the manufacture; whom warranties the card for at least one to three years. Sometimes more; doesn't hurt. I personally would pay the extra for Newegg; unless it's a crazy good deal on ebay.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Overclocking Product