amigotaco

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hello,
just got all the parts for my new machine and its not powering up. now i have it all apart with just the mobo, vid card, cpu, 1 ram stick and the power pluged in. when i hit the power button the fans spin for 1 second and then everything stops.
any ideas? advice is really appreciated.

FunSurfer

Distinguished
What are your PC parts?

Try to reset the MoBo by removing its battery for a few minutes and then inserting it back, also disconnect the PC from the wall outlet, leave on the PC just the MoBo, CPU, HDD and one stick of RAM. Leave it with the power off for 15 minutes, then press the power button few times, after that connect the power cable to the wall outlet and try turning on the PC.

amigotaco

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
thanks for the replies. ill try these tonight.

more info...
gigabyte 770ta ud3 motherboard
athlon 2 x4 630
bfg tech gs550 power supply
ocz gold 4gb ddr3 1333
xfx 5770 1gb

i have removed it all from the case, so at least i know that its not shorting out from a bad screw. both power connections are in place on the motherboard. ive tried the ram stick in all of the slots. removed the battery for a few minutes. removed the cpu and reseated it.

the best i can get it that the fans spin up for a second or 2 and then stop...

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

Did you mean Thermal Interface Material between the cpu and heatsink?

No. All the paperclip does is work like the case power switch. So all you need is a momentary contact. Leave the paperclip in too long and it's like pressing and holding the case powere switch. It will shut down the PSU.

Keep in mind that this does not put the PSU under any real load, but if the fan does not spin up, it is broken.

amigotaco

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
i used the standard thermal compound that came with the amd chip and stock cooler. i have removed and reset the cpu at least twice and it hasnt changed anything.

so it seems like if the power supply fan moves at all then it is not dead and it is spinning up for at least a short time.

maybe the motherboard is bad?

amigotaco

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
quick update.

I have done the checklist. i have tried everything i can think of at least twice.
today i went and got a different power supply and still nothing.
I think its the Motherboard. so I am going to rma it back to newegg and hope that does the trick.