Asus rampage 2 extreme swith 2xpalit gtx 260 sonic

mmeezzchris

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
i am in the middle of a build and have the rampage 2 extreme mobo also i have 2 x palit gtx 260 sonics but when i put them on the board as sli the secound card is very tight up against the top card and is forced to sit a a slight angle.
if i was then to addd a third card then i would n't even be able to conect the 3rd to the slot.
if i was to use both these cards like this would it be ok?
should i consider other gpu cards if so what ( i only have about £300 for gpu cards and would like SLI)
when i look for the dimentions of gpu cards i can only seem to find information about the length and hieght and it only seems to say thats they cards are daul slot.

chris

A GTX 295 is equivalent to two 275's in SLI w/ one card slot being used. So that nay be an easier option for you. Are you uysing the provided SoundBlaster daughter card ? I have a 295 next to the SB XiFi and they are not touching one another.

mmeezzchris

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
hi
i am using the soundblaster card and that does not tutch the top GPU card.
it is the other GPU card that sits under the 1st GPU card
i unfortunatly cant aford to get i 295 and that is why i went for 2x gtx 260 as in sli it was good value for money in my budget.
i have lernt since that the gtx 260 wich is 216 has two fans and this is why the dont fit to well but should still work fine.
thank you for your sugestion but i just cant afford the top card..
chris

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
yes those palit sonics are a big card and depending on the board can get pretty close....
You could also look at other boards such as Gigabyte, MSI or Foxconn as they have some nice boards as well..
You could also look at re-positioning your board and see if you can remedy the angle issue.
Other then that you might consider jacks recomendation and sell off those palits and pickup a GTX295!
Hope this helps......JQ

mmeezzchris

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
hi
unfortunatly i cant move the pci e slots and thats the problem they are to close??
i couls settle for 2 gtx 275's as thats just about in my budget...... i know a gtx 295 is the same cost as 2 of these but it kind of defeats the object of getting SLI board
as far as the mobo its beter for me to replace the cards rather than the board i think

chris